Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front suspension toruqe specs...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Jul 27, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I am finishing my lift today and I can't find my damn Hanynes manual...can someone tell me the following torque specs...

Front U-bolt (10B axle)...I think it is like 150#

Front spring bolt...

Rear spring bolt...

Thanks gang...

Chris

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I can tell you right now if the lift springs are narrower than the stock Springs that if you put 150# on it your going to bend the top plate. I know because my bud read that and started torquing mine and bent mine and the u-bolt. I torqued to 110#'s on mine. Do this with the weight of the truck on the springs so they flatten out. Check them after a few days. The springs will move a little and the u-bolts will streach and they will need to be retorqued. Check again a few weeks after that.
    The front spring bolt is a 9/16 (3/4 wrench size as I recall) I think it is supose to be 75ft# and the rears are 3/8's. 40-45 should be about right.

3. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

from my chevy service manual
    Front U-bolt (10B axle)...I think it is like 150#
    Front spring bolt...
    Rear spring bolt...

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

9/16" bolt uses a 13/16" wrench and a 7/8" wrench, the shackle bolt is 7/16" and uses a 5/8" and an 11/16" wrench.

Rene

5. Grim-Reaper

Aren't you on the metric system? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    Sounds right though LOL
    As for the other specs. On new bolts with new crimped nuts (the nut is crushed on the end so it works like a nylock) That would be about right because you have to figure in the Torque needed to overcome the Nut. On used nuts and bolts that have already streached I feel my torque values are more realistic. The Nut is not going to create as much drag. If you torque up to 90lb on the bolt your going to be exrting more pull on the bolt than it originaly had from the factory.
    On the u-bolts ...measure the width of the new springs against the old springs. If they are the same width go for 150 IF your using new U-Bolt. Your really supose to replace them. Most don't. I have reused a couple sets myself.
    If the new spring is not as wide heed my warning Or your going to bend those top plates.

6. tRustyK5

Still fresh in my mind after doing my rears 2 weeks ago. I buy fuel by the litre, temps are Celcius, and highway signs are all in Kilometers, but my Jimmy is 90% SAE..except for my 91.4cm x 31.75 cm TSL's/forums/images/icons/wink.gif/forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Your torque spec's look right to me though.

Rene

7. Grim-Reaper

Hahaha that's funny. I grew up wrnching with my Dad on his Porsche and my Mom's VW. Then I got Moms VW, Bought a GTI, then went Jap with a 86 RX7 followed by a 88 Trooper I bought new. In about 90 I got my First American Car. 1970 Pontiac LeMans sport Convertible (same body they made GTO's out of) Had to buy more tools /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Sold the Trooper and drove the pontiac for a year. then Got a 92 Nissan King cab truck. Sold it and got the 79 K5. Replaced wrecked 82 200SX Datsun that the Lady brought in when we were dating with a 87 Merkur XR4ti. Lady and the XR didn't get along and she stole the 79 from me. Had the 75 fall in my lap then traded the XR on a 89 Supra with a blown engine (they blew the engine in the XR4Ti on the way to take it to auction LOL). I hardly owned enough SAE tools to do an oil chaing till about 90 when I got the Pontiac. Now I'm pretty set with both Metric and SAE. Still have the Pontiac too. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. tRustyK5

I find plenty of Metric crap on my Wife's Jeep Cherokee...and it usually messes me up because I can never find the right wrench the first time/forums/images/icons/blush.gif

If there is anything I do like about metric it's fabricating to engineered prints in metric. I find it's much more accurate and easier to be accurate. It just takes getting used to seeing dimensions like 6096 mm instead of 20'.

BTW I was about to mention that you must have a decent metric tool collection if you're driving a Supra... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Rene