Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front suspension?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by grndy686, Nov 30, 2001.

1. grndy686

grndy686 Newbie

I have a 72 blaser that is pulling hard to the left in normal conditions. It acts like it is hydroplaning. you have to steer in the direction and correct it or it gets even worse. It comes and goes. For two weeks it's fine and then out of the blue its pulling again. Seems like its more on curves maybe when braking but not consistant. I have had my wheels balanced and alligned.

2. frito

frito Registered Member

check to make sure your axle is lined up straight on the leafs ... your axle may be sliding , i know mine did on the drivers side, all you gotta do is tighten down the Ubolts realy good or replace them it didnt help that my steering gear leaks all over the springs and my axle would slide anytime i turned the wheel back and forth it got real bad =)

3. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

That's a good point, also check your brakes, mine acted real weird and one of my calipers was stuck, actually took a BFH to get it off.... Good Luck

Like em big and topless
    Excuse me...Would you mind removing your import from under my chevy?

4. grndy686

grndy686 Newbie

Thanks for your reply. I'm going to look at the calipers today. I've been also told to look at the brackets for the steering. If they are loose they could be jamming up the collum and making it pull. That doesn't make since to me. I've also been told to look at the greese on my ball joints. If they don't have any their original and could need replaced. I'm just starting out so what comes automatic to folks that have been taught to work on cars growing up i'm just learning. all advise is welcome. Thanks! My sons bringing home a 67 triumph so I'll have a go with that import.

5. jmeador74

jmeador74 1/2 ton status

Hey... I had a similar problem like that a while ago... what was happening was my bottom leaf was shifting back and forth... apparently the bolt that was going through the leaves in the center had snapped and it was just moving freely... Seeing as how my system was stock at the time it was a good excuse for me to ask the wife for a lift kit to cure the problem and it worked. Been four inches higher since and no recurring problems. The other thing that might be causing your problem... might be like what the other guys have said the calipers... just recently both my calipers were seized and couln't go anywhere fast.... replaced those along with the short rubber brake lines going to them and have been good... hope any of this helps...

72 Chevy Blazer, 327, SM-465, NP 205, 4in lift, 35 in tires
    Was About to put in 400 SBC/ 700-R4
    Now trying to go 454/ 400/ 205 setup

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Here's an easy trick I was taught that helps to locate worn front components.....

Start the truck and let it idle (so your power steering will work) Then, get in the front and look at your ball-joints and draglink ends, etc. while someone is turning the wheel quickly back-and-forth.

If the components are worn, you'll see them rise-up in their sockets, and drop back down....an obvious indication of wear. Also, this could help identify a loose steering box or frame crack (though cracks on 1st Gens are not nearly as common as the '73+ guys)

I replaced my draglink ends when I saw how loose they were (using the aforementioned test) and it DID help a lot. Anyway, I hope this troubleshooting tip helps you....

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>