Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front suspension?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TED, Jan 10, 2003.

1. TED

TED Registered Member

I know that lift blocks up front are a bad idea, but how about shims? I see shims in the rear all the time but I never really looked up front on other people's rides. I put on extended shackles up front and now my driveline is close to binding becuase the angle is really bad.
    Ted

2. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

this is what I have, some guys like it some don't... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[​IMG]

3. TED

TED Registered Member

After seeing that I'm not too worried about shims in the front. Looks like something off of Junkyard Wars.... but thats what makes it so awesome.

4. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

if I take the pins out, it allows the leafs to flex.I wheeled it a couple of times and no problem...

[​IMG]

5. J.Lance

J.Lance 1/2 ton status

Check out the A-tron link that pops up on top or I believe their web site is a-tron.com. They carry zero rates that can be ordered ground down to a degree you specify to correct your problem. They are completely safe since they bolt directly to your spring pack and act as an additional leaf. I haven't used them but I've heard good feedback and will plan to use them if needed instead of degree shims.

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The only problem with shims is that most of them are made from cast aluminum and crack easy. When they crack and spit out the axle can move and you will loose your steering. Of course this is a worst case senario but it can happen.

I think you would be best off with some steel shims.