Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

!!! Front Sway Bar for K5 - "Bay Area" CA??? !!!

Discussion in 'Parts & Trucks Wanted' started by Greg72, Mar 2, 2002.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

!!! Front Sway Bar for K5 - \"Bay Area\" CA??? !!!

I just spent the last 4 hours "white knuckling" it on the highway, and have conclusively determined that soft springs are great for the trail......but absolutely TERRIFYING on the highway!!! [​IMG]

I cranked up the stiffness on my RS9000s to "5" and that helped a little, but every serious dip in the road has me pitching left and right and I couldn't always stay in my own lane!!!!

SO.....what I probably REALLY need is crossover steering, but I'll start with a front sway bar. I think the '73+ style can be adapted to work without too much hassle......if you took yours off and just have it laying in the corner of the garage, let me know. I'll come get it.....and bring you some beer or a pizza or whatever you require.....!!! [​IMG]

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: !!! Front Sway Bar for K5 - \"Bay Area\" CA??? !!!

5?!?!?! Yikes! Should ride like it is on rails.... Feel free to e-slap me but are you turning your nobs (hehe) the correct way? Should fell more resistance as you go up for firmness.

What tire pressure are you running with what tires?

Dave

Rehab is for quitters.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics>91 Blazer and Toys</a>

3. Greg72

Dave,

Yep.....definitely turned the "correct" way. I felt a difference after making the adjustment......it went from "absolutely terrifying", to only "very terrifying"......[​IMG]

I had my tires set to 35psi for the trip.....they're radials and they did feel a little TOO hard for what I normally like. I did a bunch of fluid checks last night and just set them to 35, but didn't drive it to see how it would be first.

I tell ya.....after four hours of driving and "butt clenching", I think I'm ready for a new career as a Calvin Klein Underwear model!!! [​IMG]

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

4. 2Dogs

Wow, you must have really soft springs! Are you experiencing body roll?

After getting used to mine I determined that the locker was causing me most of the sphincter factor 9.9 feeling. That and I keep my MTRs at 35psi now.

My swaybar (91) is probably still kicking around but I don't think it will work.

Dave

Rehab is for quitters.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics>91 Blazer and Toys</a>

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

[censored]Re[censored]: !!! [censored]Front[censored] [censored]Sway[censored] [censored]Bar[censored] [censored]for[censored] [censored]K5[censored] - \"[censored]Bay[censored] [censored]Area[censored]\" [censored]CA[censored]??? !!!

[censored]I[censored] [censored]don[censored]'[censored]t[censored] [censored]know[censored] [censored]if[censored] [censored]you[censored] [censored]need[censored] [censored]um[censored] [censored]or[censored] [censored]not[censored] [censored]but[censored] [censored]I[censored] [censored]have[censored] [censored]a[censored] [censored]set[censored] [censored]of[censored] [censored]spring[censored] [censored]plates[censored] [censored]that[censored] [censored]have[censored] [censored]the[censored] [censored]holes[censored] [censored]in[censored] [censored]them[censored] [censored]for[censored] [censored]the[censored] [censored]sway[censored]-[censored]bar[censored]. [censored]Also[censored] [censored]check[censored] [censored]out[censored] [censored]the[censored] [censored]sway[censored]-[censored]bars[censored] [censored]for[censored] [censored]1st[censored] [censored]gens[censored] [censored]in[censored] [censored]LMC[censored] ([censored]they[censored] [censored]have[censored] [censored]rear[censored] [censored]too[censored]!)

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Re: [censored]Re[censored]: !!! [censored]Front[censored] [censored]Sway[censored] [censored]Bar[censored] [censored]for[censored] [censored]K5[censored] - \"[censored]Bay[censored] [censored]Area[censored]\" [censored]CA[censored]??? !!!

Holy crap what is that?

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Lets try that again!

I don't know if you need um or not but I have a set of spring plates that have the holes in them for the sway-bar. Also check out the sway-bars for 1st gens in LMC (they have rear too!)

8. 2Dogs

Re: [censored]Re[censored]: !!! [censored]Front[censored] [censored]Sway[censored] [censored]Bar[censored] [censored]for[censored] [censored]K5[censored] - \"[censored]Bay[censored] [censored]Area[censored]\" [censored]CA[censored]??? !!!

Jeez! You dont need to [censored] [censored] and [censored] [censored] furhtermore [censored] [censored][censored] [censored][censored] [censored] and [censored] [censored]!!!

So there!!!

LOL

9. Greg72

Dan,

I checked LMC and it looks like they only have a "generic" aftermarket one (front &amp; rear)

I was kinda hoping for the style that mounts to the top spring plates....which I think is the 73+ style factory mount?

Anyway, if I have to get the setup "piecemeal" I may contact you for those plates!

10. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

Greg,

Mine has just been laying around for the last two years. I have the sway bar with the two mounts for the crossmember. Somewhere I even have a two inch drop from Superlift still in the plastic. I bought it a few years ago and never installed it. I'm not really interested in taking my spring plates off the truck though. But have everything needed except the plates. Give me a holler and let me know if your interested and we'll work something out.

David

11. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

You should talk to Burt4x4.. He put on somebody aftermarket swaybars.. Not sure who 's they were thou...Dan

12. Greg72

David,

Sent you a PM, and I'll try calling you directly later today.....

13. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

LMC has an OE sway bar my cost for you would be 91.30, the bushings: 3.50 each or the energy sway bar bushing set for 34.95. Let me know if you are still interested in placing an order. I have a guy placing one hopefully within the week, and another guy waiting for me to order.

Sara

14. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have everything you need to add a sway bar to your rig, sway bar, spring plates, forward mounting brackets. Not sure if i have the sway bar to mounting plate bolts though. I can check if you haven't found or bought one yet. I am in Fremont, not far from you in Milpitas. I could meet you somewhere and deliver for you. Make me an offer and its yours.

15. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

Dude you gotta watch a kids movie called (Toads wild ride ) u willl relate
    now your sway bar as cheep as i am:-) you can have it for freebut pizza would be a nice tip alsom just pay shipping probably about 25.00 i even include the spring plates on it all ready
    im in los angeles area

16. Greg72

Doc,

Thanks for the offer.....acutally 4x4HIGH came through in a BIG way for me. He's about 10 minutes away and set me up with everything I needed for $20.

Nice guy too......his truck already has most of the cool stuff I wish I had!!!

If you're ever in the San Jose area, look me up. We'll go get that pizza anyway.... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

17. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

How did you get a green name????????????????????????
    Good to hear you found all your stuff.

David

18. Greg72

David,

Steve asked me to be the moderator for the 1st Gen List. When you look at my posts there.....you'll see the familiar "M" flag.....everywhere else on the site, it's just the green color.

"..........the hours are long, but the pay is low" /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

19. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

That's cool. I didn't notice the flag.

David