Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front sway bar removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by csnutrition, Apr 23, 2003.

1. csnutrition

csnutrition Registered Member

The local 4wd shop recommended removing the front sway bar. They said it would effect steering or cause a safety issue. They said it would increase the smoothness of the ride. Does anyone have any recommendations? I have a 4" lift with 35's.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Depends on what springs you're running. I have 6" Superlift and I removed my swaybar. Don't need it at all with the stiffer springs.

3. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I am running old worn out 4" springs of some kind and removed my sway bar. No ill effects on the road, but a little softer up front.
    I guess the question is what do you do w/ your truck? If it sees mainly highway use then you might want to leave it on. If you wheel the piss out of it, by all means take it off!!

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I removed mine with only 2.5" lift. I did notice more nose dive under hard braking, and more body roll, but nothing that would cause me to want to reinstall my swaybar. The only time I wish I still had the swaybar is when I get on a highway and I get heavy crosswinds. Thats it. And that is still managable, just a little scarier.

5. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I have been driving without mine for a year and I am not planning on putting it back on. The flex you gain is really great and it softened up the ride a bit too. Anyway, try it and if you don't like it it's easy to put back on.

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

First, let me say that a *properly set up* sway bar is nice to have for road driving. You can run without it, but you'll get more roll steer and worse cornering.

Next, let me say that for off-road driving, a sway bar is the single-most limiting suspension factor on a stock K5

The problem with the sway bar is that it only fits with the stock springs. Lift kit manufacturers say that you can reuse it, (but they are liars and also tell you that their 600lb/in springs will ride as good or better than stock), but pretty much all lift springs are longer than stock springs so that they line up right with the higher arch. So with lift springs the swaybar causes some binding and really limits front suspension travel. That's why you get more nose-dive while braking without it. It's not even designed to do that. It's also the reason for the stiffer ride. A properly set up sway bar will not make the ride stiffer for things that both tires hit, but can make it a little stiffer for things that hit only one tire.

The answer is sway bar disconnects. They give another degree of movement, which eliminates the binding in the front end. Plus, you get all the benefits of a sway bar on-road without all the evil of it off-road.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, i have stuff rancho springs... i literally couldnt tell the difference between the way it handles with/without sway bar. I used to have a ORD asb relocation bracket thing, but after realizing that I had been driving a week without it and had NO idea, I sold the kit.

before you do anything drastic, I'd recommend just unbolting the thing and taking it off... and then driving your rig a little to see how it feels to you.

j

8. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

I dont have mine on anymore. Not that bad of a ride. I do have a little body roll on turns but I do have 9012 on ft so I can adjust the ft end. I would say take yours off and try it I bet
    it will stay off.

9. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I have 6" BDS springs. I ran the swaybar for a while with the 6" springs, but opted to loose the swaybar for the same reason as others have stated, but I also am running the 9012's and can adjust the shocks to the point I don't notice the swaybar is not there.

You will notice that it is gone at first, but will get use to it, but the benifits off-road are certianly worth loosing it.

10. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

OK, I just put in new front springs last weekend. I found out the the sway would not connect. I ordered the ORD disconnect. After reading this post earlier, I took the blazer for a run around the block with no sway and it was way to loose for my taste. I will keep it on, and just disconnect off road. It felt like the truck was leaning too much in turns.

11. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

you get used to it. I did. I kinda thought the same thing at first too, but it doesn't bother me at all now. Sometimes passengers get a little freaked out on turns at higher speed (freeway transition's & such) but oh well. Most of the time at slow speed they are to busy freaking out about the welded rear hoping in tight corners to care about body lean. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I have 4" Rough Country springs which are stiff anyway, but my truck rides, and flexes alot better since I took the sway bar off.

13. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

"to busy freaking out about the welded rear hoping in
    tight corners "

I know how you feel, my welded rear diff. is making people at my work think that I'm some kind of tire spinning maniac, they can't understand how I can make my tires squeal going only 3 mph. Every day I'm making nice black tire marks all around the company parking lot. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

yea, when we did my lift kit to get the sway bar to line up again we had to crank on the U-bolts sideways on the one side and then finally i got the bolt in, it was a pain in the ass, when you do the lift kit, on the 4" rough country mine alighned again, when you need to get the perches to alighn with the front springs DO NOT take the bolt all the way out unless your going to ditch the sway bar, only loosen it up as much as you can, then when you get the springs tight, tighten the bolt back up, and that is what we figured out to do on the one side. took 1 hour and a half on the passenger side, on the drivers side it took 15 minutes, because we didnt take the bolt all the way out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

15. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Just got this today
    [​IMG]

to make this fit after lift install
    [​IMG]

16. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

I have been considering removing my sway bar for sometime now, but havent. One thing that was mentioned was that it acts as a limiter and is why you experience more nose dive under hard braking. I have 1yr old superlift front and rear 4" springs. I definetly notice a rebound driving over bumps compared to before and compared to other people's vehicles.

For example, the ground heaved during the winter and made an almost ramp-like semi-sinkhole along my town's main road. I would go into it at about 40 and definetely experienced nose dive and would rebound back out (tires never came off the ground, just definetely felt my truck drop and bounce back). But, in other people's vehicles, they barely even noticed anything was there. Granted, none of these were trucks, but still, are the superlift springs that soft? Would it then prob. be much worse without the sway bar? As far as how it acts now, like was mentioned with the sway bar removal, i'm used to it.

thanks,
    matt