Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front sway bar

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TXsizeK5, Feb 10, 2003.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

is it better to take off the front sway bar with a 6" lift , beucase it causes it to bind? Does it have any adverse effects? thanks.

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

im runnin 4 inch front springs for total of 5 inches of lift with a 60..... and i dont even notice my sway bar is gone, I used to have 8 inch front springs and its the same story......... Take it off if you notice a difference, dont worry youll get used to :P

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Well, the worst case scenario is with a 6" lift, you might have a hard time getting the u-bolt plates lining up the axle and spring pins - just from the basic geometry of it.
    There are a couple of options:
    Sway bar drop kits are available.
    Buying ORD's sway bar disconnects would help out a bit.
    Ditch the sway bar if your springs are stiff enough - there are plenty of people on here running without the swaybar and most don't notice a difference.

4. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I have 6" ez rides, buddy of mine has the same said he ditched the sway bar and no difference besides it rode better.

Thanks.

5. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Just to repeat what everyone else has told you. I'm running 4" TC springs with Hill shackles on a front Dana 60 without the swaybar and it is no biggie. Just go ahead and ditch it you will get use to the way it leans in corners after awhile /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

flex it out WITH the swaybar and then without, you WILL notice a difference. i have the drop kit if you really want yours, it's a 3" drop, PM me if you want it.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i got rid of my anti-sway bar about 1.5 years ago. If i was towing a lot or racing my rig I would prolly have figured out a way to use the thing with my lift... since 2 mph is my fav speed... and I don't plan on towing much at all, I've found that I dont really need it.

j

8. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Have to concur with everyone else; I threw mine away with a 4" Superlift, then went to 6" Skyjacker, and still no problems at all. Rides better without. And, of course, I can still roll straight over the curbs at Wal-Mart, no stinkin swaybar holdin me back! /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif