Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Sway Bar

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TexasT, May 5, 2003.

1. TexasT

TexasT Registered Member

Well, things are going well in the engine overhaul derby. I got everthing off and am ready to remove the intake manifold and hoist er out of there. As I was crawling around underneath I noticed a problem. The pass side sway bar end wasn't in the lower a arm. This lead me to the cause. The pass side sway bar mount on the frame is bent, I guess front a jack or lazy tow truck operator. Anyway, is it a good idea to pry it out and hammer it back to position or do I need to drill out the rivets and get a new one. I'm leaning toward to big hammer and pry bar as this will be cheaper I think. Your thoughts please.

Rich

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

once its been bent then its gonna alwasy have a weakness of some sorts, the brackets are very inexpensive i think they even make them new now, only one rivet, other is a bolt, someone will have a bracket for you, i dont currently, i just have an entire setup, some ppl dont think and hook onto the bar with a chain instead of the frame

3. TexasT

TexasT Registered Member

I see your point. Anyone have the bracket and the bushings for the sway bar. Would consider eurathane or rubber bushings. Thanks.

Rich

4. TexasT

TexasT Registered Member

I went to the dealer and got the bracket for the economical sum of $12.05 +tax. I asked about the bushings and the parts man said they are all four the same. Problem was they are $15 each(ouch). I got looking through the summit catalog and they have eurathane bushings cheaper than that. Anyone know how big the front sway bar on an '85 Suburban is ar do I have to climb up under there? Thanks.

Rich

5. BRN78BLAZER

BRN78BLAZER 1/2 ton status

1 1/16" on a 2wd. I just replaced the bushings on my dads 79 pickup, and Installed a sway bar on my blazer.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

the 79 big 10 bar is just a hair bigger

7. TexasT

TexasT Registered Member

Guess I have to crawl under

Well, thanks for the thoughts.

I guess I'm going to have to crawl under after the conversation I had with Summit today. They list three different sizes(1 1/16", 1 1/8", and 1 1/4") in their catalog. The operator suggested getting the 1 1/16" and if they didn't fit just send them back. Not in this lifetime as I doubt they'd cover the shipping back to them and would be glad to charge me a restocking fee. Raining today so maybe tommorrow we'll know the bar diameter. I just wish I had open end wrenches that big to make measuring easier. I guess I'll break out the china micrometer I bought from ebay and see how it works.

Bright side is that the whole kit of bushings from Summit was $26.95 (less than 1/2 of what the chevy house wanted for all 4 bushings).

Rich

8. TexasT

TexasT Registered Member

Ordered The Bushings

Well, I crawled up under there this morning with a caliper and the Sway Bar turned out to be 1 1/16". I went ahead an placed an order to Summit Racing for some greaseable eurathane bushings. The operator recommended the black ones as they are inpregnated with graphite and this would have been good except they were out of stock till 6-10. I couldn't wait as I hoped to have this up and moving by the end of next week. I got the red ones which are also greaseable. This brings me to the question.

Anyone have any experience with the red greaseable bushings? Is there a difference between them and the graphite impregnated ones if I keep these greased? I usually grease the ball joints and tie rods/center link when changing the oil so I hope this works out.

Rich

9. TexasT

TexasT Registered Member

10. BRN78BLAZER

BRN78BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Re: Installed The Bushings

These links don't work

11. N2-TRUX

N2-TRUX 1/2 ton status

Re: Guess I have to crawl under

[ QUOTE ]
    ... I just wish I had open end wrenches that big to make measuring easier. I guess I'll break out the china micrometer I bought from ebay and see how it works.....

[/ QUOTE ]Since you have the micrometer, it wasn't any problem, but heres another way to do it. Use a large Crescent wrench. Tighten it down till it touches what you need to measure, and measure the gap with a tape measure... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    1 1/16" on a 2wd. I just replaced the bushings on my dads 79 pickup, and Installed a sway bar on my blazer.

[/ QUOTE ]

nice, they seem/look larger diameter than that, but apparently arent, i had an 85 3/4 ton 2wd burban also, for parts, had bar setup on it, they are the oens liek the C30 ones htta you want ot find for the c-10 pickups and 5 blazers /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

happy repairing /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif