Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front sway bars (looking for options)

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mastercraftkpk, Mar 25, 2003.

1. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif
    My '72 currently has "plain" tops without any means for attachment of an anti-sway bar on the frt leaf packs.

What have some of you done in order to attach a frt sway bar on your vehicles and how did you do it?

What can be done to use a bar off of a later model chevy, or do I need to go aftermarket?

Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

2nd Gen swaybar works fine....

You'll need to locate a set of upper spring plates with the tapped holes for the swaybar (easy).....the swaybar itself (easy).....and then fab up the bracketry to hold the "pivot" bushings (not as easy)

I welded a couple of brackets onto the engine crossmember and it worked fine.....

3. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

heh, I just logged on with the intention of asking how to hook up a sway bar... i have the 2nd gen bar, but no idea on what works. This is so cool that it already here.

4. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

As Greg said, the worst part is fabbing the mounts for the frame. I fabbed up a set of mounts and bolted them to the crossmember under the radiator support. I left a boss on each of them so that I could put more structure bracing to them later when I put a big bumper and winch in front. I was thinking of checking into how much it'd cost to have these produced, but I know they wouldn't be cheap since they're over-engineered for the job, so I just left it alone.

Anyhow, you can check mine out at: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/1963/BlazerPix.html

5. mastercraftkpk

Thanks Greg72 & Steve Chin. My search for the upper spring plate/swaybar begins tomorrow. I think that finding the parts may be the hard part....these vehicles were not as popular in Texas as they were in California or Colorado, so scrap yard parts are harder to find, but I will give it a shot before forking out the $160 + S&H to Brothers for their kit that they say "clamps" onto my existing plate. But I may get lucky w/one of the thousands of chevy trucks in the scrap yards here.

I may just take the existing to a machine shop and have them bore my existing plates if I have trouble finding proper plates.

P.S. Thanks for your prior posting of bolt sizes for body mounts, Steve Chin. It helped me to save some bucks when taking the body lift off that was held on w/ galvanized bolts by prior owner & replacing w/ energy suspension mounts (didn't know that they made them in black instead of red/blue until I did some digging).

Thanks again /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't think they would be that hard to find. You can get them off of ANY 73-87 k5,10, or 20, along with 88-91 k5's.

Your other option is to post up in the wanted section. I have a set but put them on my truck (I figured why not...I might put a sway bar on some day).

7. mastercraftkpk

Steve, thanks for the pix of the mounts that you made. Very helpful. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif