Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front to rear weight bias...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TruckNutzDude, Mar 11, 2005.

1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I need help on finding a way to put more weight back over my rear tires. I got happy with the sawzall and cut out my floor, skinned the bed-sides and removed my tailgate and top. I recently added a winch and bumper to the front end and hydraulic assist steering. I can feel the nose lifting up on the rear tires on descents and if I'm in two wheel drive I have no traction. I'm thinking of adding some wheel wells, a tool box and the hard top shell with no windows back into the Blazer. I'm going to be relocating the battery to the back as well and keep the stock gas tank between the frame rails nice and low. I have about 6" of front lift and since removing all the weight in the rear I have 8" of rear lift. I'm running a small block, 1 ton's and 44" TSL's. It's getting kind of hairy driving this thing around lately, help keep me on my feet guys! Thanks
    -Rob-

2. towdriver80

towdriver80 Registered Member

I`ve seen winch mount plates that fit a 2" reciever. Maybe you replace the winch with a front reciever, and keep the winch strapped down in the back somewhere till you need it.

3. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i'd make some custom toolboxes for the cargo area. carry a complete set of tools instead of just what you need. put on of those big truck batteries in the back, they weigh about 100lbs each. or even dual batts to keep the winch happy. adding the top would help too. a buddy of mine had a 4" tube for a rear bumper. he filled it with concrete. that'll add some weight:D wouldnt want to rear-end ya tho

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

move the battery and gas tank as far back as possible. Build an ungodly heavy/beefy rear bumper with winch... uhhh... throw another set of seats back there and bring along some fat friends? ;) :grin:

j

5. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Easy, move the engine back, or move the front axle forward. Dont add weight, keep taking it away till it evens out, or just move around what ya got. ;)

6. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I agree, adding weight is a step in the wrong direction unless its for needed protection. Your drivetrain will love you more as each pound falls off.

7. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Yep, I agree. Keep removing weight off the front and try to even out the bias. Dump weight off the front but this won't address the floating sensation or traction issues that come from less contact pressure.

8. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

You guys seem to have the same ideas as I do. I don't want to add weight if I dont have to but I'd like a little more traction. I think I'm going to start looking for some 52's for the front, or maybe use the 57" ford springs I have in the front :blush: . That should send the front axle foreward a few inches. As far as rear weight goes, I'll be adding a bumper winth a 2" reciever soon. I might also consider the removable winch mount idea, but that's a little later since I just made my current winch mount and I like it too much to get rid of it. Moving the battery sounds like a good idea, I was planning on doing that soon anyways. The gas tank is in it's stock location... waaay in the back of the frame. Any thoughts on the 57" ford springs in the front???