Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front trany seal replacement

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eshorvath, Sep 12, 2005.

1. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

I am getting ready to pull my transfer case to replace the adapter. There is a leak from the front for the transmission, not sure if it is from the input shaft seal or the round access hole on the front
    (what is that hole called, has screws to access it,
    is there a gasket behind it?)

Is there any other spots that can be leaking there?

How hard is it to replace the front seal?

Where can i get these seals and gaskets the cheapest?

I do nto want to have to pull the trans and transfer case, but since I am having to do half, Id like to fix that leak too, while im there, I am away from a parts store by 50 miles, and want to have everything here, ready do go, pull everything, replace and seal everything, and throw it back together the same time.

Oh, and the gaskets between the TC and trans, do they need to have gaskets, or silicon or both?

Eddie

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Only two seals I recall in the converter area are the hub seal for the converter, and the pump to case gasket. Without the right tools, I doubt you'll be getting the pump off with it still in the air/in the truck.

Make sure to lube the hub seal before install. Hub seal should be cheap pretty much anywhere.

3. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know if this front shaft seal on the SM465 is a quick, easy replacement once the tranny is off?

What is the access on the front, below the input shaft, that you can see with sheet metal screws? Is that a gasket, should you use silicon to seal it?
    Eddie