Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front trimming done *PICS*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

So I continued down the Road to Raines/Hollister this weekend preparing for the 35's and here are the pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lessons I learned during this project were as follows:

1. While a 4" angle grinder complete with cutting discs is fun and fast; the level of chaos and mayhem that ensues from the out of control nature of the angle grinder makes more work out of the fender trimming.

2. Measure Measure Measure.... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

3. The wife found the grey primer on the rear of the front fenders just a little too hokie so black primer can be your friend.

4. Last but not least, I can't wait for 'glass fenders this year. This will be the next project that I indulge in. Hopefully by Blazerfest in June.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Looks like you're still gonna smack the bottom rear corners with 35's... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    the level of chaos and mayhem that ensues from the out of control nature of the angle grinder makes more work out of the fender trimming.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rookie... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif J/K!! [homer]Mmmmm, grinder[/homer]

Rene

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Looks like you're still gonna smack the bottom rear corners with 35's...

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah but the answer to the question "Does Bubba Ray actually wheel that thing?" is a big fat "No!" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Once I start getting outclassed, which is usually at the campground, I park and ride shotgun with someone. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Once the Daylight Savings Time rolls around this way, the fenderwells are coming off and I'm gonna cojole $300 from my program manager and slap 'glass on the front. Not too mention that I've already got a set of front springs spoken for and I just have to scam some rears off of somebody. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

that looks awsome. At least you one thing to look forward too, its nolonger the "stock poser k-5" its just the "poser k-5". /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Dont hold back! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I bet yah B-Ray's Rig would climb over your little luv with those tires...... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

7. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I got a question for ya. I remember back when GM and Dodge wer still building solid front axels and the baja race trucks would run spring under setups. I remember seeing a lot of those in my old 4X4 mags. Was that the norm and did it help out?

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Was that the norm and did it help out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and it was suppose to. Let me research my archives on my write-up that I'm slowly working on and see if I have any info.

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

With the axle on top of the springs, it is no longer unsprung weight, it's sprung. I wouldn't even begin to be able to explain it and can't remember what's been said and how it has be explained nor do I have anything in my write-up, but that will be one thing I will ask.

As for it being the norm these days on straight axle rigs, I haven't seen it a whole lot except on those trucks that already have spring uder setups like the old Jeep Pickups, the big ones.

11. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I could see it working just for the fact that in order to do a spring under the leaves would have to be longer which should create more travel. I also herd once that the spring would take the beatings from rocks and what not instead of the axel tubes, kinda like a crude skid plate.

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I could see it working just for the fact that in order to do a spring under the leaves would have to be longer which should create more travel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Toyota people like to slap on entended shackles and spring under the rearend and can nail in the neighborhood of 20" of travel.

13. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I like the fenders, glad to hear your going glass before me. Are you gonna run dzus fasteners? I was thinkin of doin that so when i go crawlin i can take em off.

Ok now on to the spring thingy, How might i convert my truck to a spring under? I would like a lot of travel and better handling which it looks like a spring under gives you that, or else they wouldnt run it.

14. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Wow. I'm slightly ejumacated on this topic. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

15. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

The hard part about doing it on a GM front axel is the passenger side. The differential housing is machined flat on the top for the spring to sit on. The only thing I could think of is to use a front axel from a full size J-series Jeep truck if they had the diff on the passenger side. I do know the 1/2 ton's had 6 lugs. Or another way would be to do the opposite of what Scout owners do. They use the center section from a GM Dana 44 and put in Scout Dana 44 tubes and outers. It would be the same thing but only the spring mounting surface would be on the bottom. As far as the drivers side it would be just welding on a mount.

16. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I like the fenders, glad to hear your going glass before me. Are you gonna run dzus fasteners?

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt I'll run dzus. I'll just get the bolt in fenders. I'm hoping I'll get these sometime this spring. It'll be a war with my program manager, but hopefully I'll be making a little side $$$$ and that will be diverted to the K5 budget that I'm working on. Kind of like government black programs...

17. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

While a 4" angle grinder complete with cutting discs is fun and fast; the level of chaos and mayhem that ensues from the out of control nature of the angle grinder makes more work out of the fender trimming.

[/ QUOTE ]
    OK, I'm about to do this too, and it doesn't get more rookie than me. So explain yourself! What can I expect when that grinder meets the metal??

18. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

So could I find a spring under D44 housing and get some new tubes pressed into it for the correct width axle? I think i answered my question.

19. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Yes. Also you can have it rotated for a beter drive line angle.

20. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

OK, I'm about to do this too, and it doesn't get more rookie than me. So explain yourself! What can I expect when that grinder meets the metal??

[/ QUOTE ]

If youve ever cut metal wit ha die grinder or something similar it will behave just like that. Make sure you hold it really steady unless you like doing body work and also make sure that you have your cut marks exactly where you want them. Other than that there are some wierd things in the fender that might give you some trouble, a torch and an air hammer might help with those.