Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Wheel Alignment

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lehtola, Apr 26, 2001.

1. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

I've noticed that I've got some wear on my outer tread. I installed my lift 3 weeks ago but still have to change out my steering arm. Do I need to get an alignment? Is it common practice to get your truck ligned up after installing a lift? If so, should I wait to get it done after I install the steering arm and the steering stabilizer?

1990 GMC Jimmy 350/TH700R4/NP241/10 bolts, 4" skyjacker lift, 35x12.50R15 BFG All Terrains on 15x10 AR Baja's, Flowmasters.

2. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

In general it is a must to have your front end aligned after a lift. And if I were you I would wait till I put the steering arm on. The stabalizer wont afect your alignment.

To get to the point... On solid axle front ends, the only thing that your average alignment shop will be able to do is your toe in and toe out. As your steering knucle turns you will be able to see that the camber will change for example. Turn your wheel al the way to the left and see how it will now be leaning from out to in adn the other side will be leaning in to out. So the toe adjustment will change that just a little. But if your camber is off this will cause the majority of the tread wear you are looking at. And the only way to fix that is to have shims put in behind the spindle which requires lots of labor costs unless you can do the work yourself. Not hard, just need to know what and how. You will need to go have your camber checked and have them tell you how far off it is and then find someone that sells or make the appropriate shims. In order to get to the place where they go requires taking most of the front end apart. Hub, brakes, bearings, axles, spindle. then in reverse order. this will require a couple of special tools but nothing major. The most expensive being the spindle nut socket. But they are about 15 dollars at Autozone.

Will work for beer, parts and tools.
    90-350TBI-TCI700-241-33"-10/12 bolt w/4.10's,
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>