Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front wheel bearings *FIXED*

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by COCHEV, Mar 11, 2004.

1. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

my nephew has a 83 s-10 blazer and his front bearings are trashed on the drivers side. how big of a pain are these to do on the ifs stuff? napa wants $200+ for what they call a whole new "front assembly" my nephew is poor so we are thinking of hitting the junkyard saturday. any info on this would be great. thanks,

jason

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

Re: front wheel bearings

never having worked on one myself.. but looking at our 99.. im imagining that 200 bucks is for a knuckle that includes pressed in sealed for life nonchangeable bearings..

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Is it 2wd or 4wd? My 2wd stuff for my 87 was cheep. I would think you could replace all the bearings, seals, calipers, pads, brak lines, and maybe some other stuff for $200. If the spindles are toast I have a set with good bearings, new but now rusted rotors, new pads, etc...sitting in my driveway. I just took the whole spindle off and converted to 12" brakes /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

its 4x4. no spindle, have to buy a new hub assembly. the bearings are pressed into the knuckles and the cv runs through that. damm ifs anyways! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

looks like i know what i'm doing this weekend. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

5. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

New hub assembley from the junk yard for 35 bucks. take off the tire, caliper, rotor. remove the lock nut and large (1 5/16") nut behind it, then remove the three bolts that hold the hub assem. in. remove and replace. walla! fixed. if anyone cares /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Sweet! That's WAY cheaper. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

They fit right up until they switched to the dual-piston caliper (97-98 or so) even if it has ABS - so there's lots in the junkyard to choose from /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif