Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Wheel Bearings Help!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Waxer, May 25, 2000.

1. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I am in the middle of doing the wheel bearings on my K5's Dana44. I have finished the drivers side unscathed. The passengers side is another story. The drivers side bearings/races looked good, even still I installed new Timkens. The passengers sides came apart as I took the rotor/hub off. They basically fell apart. I noticed water contamination evidence as rust on the spindle, and the inner bearing fell completely apart. The inner ring part of the inner bearing that is in direct contact with the axle is stuck on the spindle. I can wedge a screwdriver tip behind it and move it forward very little, but thats it. Any ideas on how to remove it without damaging the axle? I'm stuck in the water right now on this one. Thanks in advance.....

2. Kodiak

Kodiak 1/2 ton status

Apply heat to the ring and it should expand enough to come off.

3. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Had this very same thing happen too me.I had to take cut off wheel and cut it very very carefully as much as i could.Then took a big chisel and hammer and split it off.Didn't have a torch but i bet the heat would work too.

4. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Heat should take it off.a cut off wheel will work also just try not to cut into the axle.You may need to cut the ring in a couple of spots.Also make sure the failure of the bearings didn't ruin the axle shaft it self.I had the wheel bearings go out on me and the wheel got to wobbling.It ate the outer axle along with the lockout hub.The splines were all rounded off and the hub just fell apart.Brady

5. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Used cut off wheel on mine.

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Waxer
    I would get new spindel bearings also!! It sounds like the same issue I had and I used a cut off wheel to put a groove in the race but not all the way thru just a nice groove then finnish it off with a hammer and chisel to split the race off!!
    Again I would get new spindel bearings too while you have it apart! You can get a spindel bearing kit that comes with new axel seals and will help keep the water outa your wheel bearings!!!
    Good luck

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin

7. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

I replaced mine about a month ago and the same thing happened to me, I didn't know what to do at the time so I took the whole spindle off and took it to a machine shop where I bought the bearings and they took that thing off for $5 so I was cool.

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!