Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front wheel bearings???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RESTORE89, Aug 11, 2001.

1. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

how to check if good???
    if bad how to replace???
    replaced many a boat trailer bearing adn some front bearings on a 2 wheel drive but never a 4x4
    how hard and what do i have to take apart???
    i think this is my frustrated problem i am getting a growl when i slow in a curve
    i also thought i replaced my ball joints, but i replaced the ones at the end of my tie rods, and should i replace them with the moog brand some body suggested at the same time or does it matter????

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

2. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Well here is the deal. It sound slike you bearings are going. They aren't hard to change. As far as changing the ball-joints at the same time.... well here's my opinion...
    You have to remove all the same stuff to remove the bearings as you do to replace the ball-joints. So one way to look at it is to go ahead and do it while your in there. Or you can look at it like you can get more practice taking the front end apart.
    To replace the bearings, you'll need to remove the lock out hubs via those 6 allen head screws then remove some lock rings. Remove the bracke calipers. then you'll have to get an axle nut socket, for about 15 dollars at Autozone. Then remove the spindle nuts then the hub and bearings will be at your disposal.
    Not to go even further to replace the ball-joints, you will then need to remove the spindle stud retaining nuts, then beat the $hit out of the spindle with a dead blow hammer adn remove it along with the backing plate. then you can pull the axles out. You can now start at the knucle nuts upper and lower, then take the knuckel to the shop and have them press out the old adn in with the new "MOOG" ball-joints.
    Then install everything in the reverse order.
    This was in a nutshell description. Can give more when adn if you decide to do it yourself.

Hope this gave you a good idea on the basic proceedure to replace the stuff you mentioned.

Does anyone have a grinding disk I can borrow?[​IMG]3/4 in progress[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

3. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

any idea as to cost to have done so i can compare to my labor ie would i rather go to work to pay and then go fishing instead of turning wrenches, but if it is worth the time invested then maybe. Also iam not fond of doing things twice so if i do it it will be all or nothing
    any idea as time involved???
    have a complete facility to work air and hand tools
    did a head gasket and cam change on 82 f-150 took about 8 hours total excluding time for machine work
    do not know how long is standard but was pretty pleased with results, except i did take and have timing and carb adjusted by pro since no tach and different cam

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

4. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

never had the knuckle off but have pulled the spindle off of the 10bolt. BFH and block of wood to protect the threads, i would like to make an adapter for my slide hammer next time i do one of those, couple big screw drivers to jam in once you get it started and out it comes. on reassembly cover it in NevrSieze as my d60 comes apart EASY after a coat of it.
    the wheel bearing replacement is a no brainer as is the axle u joint and you should know how to do this anyway if you plan on wheelin'

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I have heard of all sorts of prices for this. Local here in NAshville I was quoted like 120 for both upper ball joints and 130 for both lowers, but this was providing that they did it all at once, per the quote from one shop.
    When I did this it took me one Saturday afternoon

Does anyone have a grinding disk I can borrow?[​IMG]3/4 in progress[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I took my axle too the shop stripped to the knuckles and $45 later for labor and I had 4 new balljoints.

The spindles are EASY of you use a 4x4 in between about a 10 pound sledge and the spindle. Won't damage a thing and it'll fall right off in 3 swings or less.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles