Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Wheel Bearings?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89OKIE, Oct 22, 2001.

1. 89OKIE

89OKIE Registered Member

How and what special tools are needed to change the front wheel bearings on an 89' with man. locking hubs.

2. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

Same question, but for 87? any difference?
    My spindle nut(s?) backed off and wrecked my hub and outer bearing. Interested to know what responses you get.
    Good Luck! [​IMG]

Four wheel drive, four wheel expenses...

3. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

snap ring pliers make it easier but you dont need them, i use 2 small screwdrivers, the hub socket tool, which you can buy from pep girls or autozone, its the same for all 1/2 fronts, about $10 make sure when you put it all back togather you get that little nipple on the first ring to firlmy get into a hole, if it dosnt later on its a PIA.

Sun Desert Offroad <a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com>4x4.alloffroad.com</a>

4. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Just did mine this weekend. Along with the other suggestions, it will also help to have a bearing packing tool. This is the easiest way I know of to get the grease inside the bearings. I think it's less than $10 at any auto parts store. Of course you need a grease gun to go with that. If you don't have a hex wrench to remove the brake calipers then pick one of those up too, I forget what size it is though. Make sure to seat the bearings correctly and torque the adjusting nuts correctly. This will require a torque wrench also, one that reads up to 200 ft/lbs will do. I'm sure you could get by with the good-n-tight method, but since I don't like my wheels falling off I'll just stick with the specified ratings [​IMG]. If you haven't done this before then a Haynes manual would be helpful.