Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Wheel Bearings

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by jac6695, Jun 29, 2003.

1. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I am about to do a front brake job on my 97 K2500HD and wanted to know if the front bearings are servicable. I have heard they are sealed but wanted to know for sure before getting into it. Thanks.

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Yes, they are a sealed unit. These hubs are bought complete at the parts counter. They were brutally expensive before the jobber market got into it. If you can do without ABS, the non-ABS version (88-93?) is probably cheaper.

3. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I thought so. Thanks for the info!

4. Suburbanite

Suburbanite Registered Member

Don't know whether it'd be possible on a GM but just read about someone with a Dodge trying to make his serviceable. Don't know whether he succeeded but last I read he was trying to press the bearings out. I may have to do mine & I'm going to try removing the bearing as well. Figure it's worth a try considering the (still) outrageous price for a wheel bearing/hub assembly -- ~$300! GM & all the bean-counters can kiss my grits!!! I'll even look into getting the hub machined for a standard bearing before I pay those kinds of prices.