Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Wheel Drive Only!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chaka73, Apr 10, 2000.

1. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Hey guys a question, will I damage anything if I drive only with my Front Wheels for a while, I have to take my drive shaft to get it balanced, the only problem is that my Green Vampire is my daily driver so I have to drive it with the front wheels only, I only drive about 5-7 miles to work and dont even have to hop on the freeway, and I only go about 35 mph, a local mechanic told me that I could drive no more than 55mph, but I wanted to consult with you guys first if this is true than no biggy I guess I can drive it like that for a few days until I get the rear shaft, thanks for the info guys.

keep blazin !!!

2. collegeK5er

collegeK5er Registered Member

the only problem you'll have is when you need to turn, take lots of left turns and as wide as posable! too tight and the inside wheel will want to go back wards like a tanks does. lots of stress. mine rear driveshaft fell out doin 80mph on the freeway and i picked it up through it in 4 wheel and drove the normaly 20 min home 1hr and a hlf later. good luck

Doin' it all on a budget

3. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I agree. It shouldn't mess up your truck, but there is one very serious consequence. You will technically, for a while, be driving a "front wheel drive" automobile!!! lol Oh the embarassment...

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

4. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Now that is a very serious consequence, I hate front wheel automobiles and now I have to drive one, but hopefully not for long, thanks guys, and thank god for 4x4s.

keep blazin !!!

5. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>go easy on the gas pedal becuase if you don't, the locking hubs will break. i've seen this after a trail ride, a guy broke his driveshaft and drove out on the front end, he hit the gas and there was hub parts everywhere</font color=blue>

6. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I had to drive about 100 miles in front wheel drive. I had a NP203 converted to part time. The mechanic was right. At about 55-60mph the t-case would disengage by itself. First time it did it I thought I just bought a new one. Had the rig about another year. Never had any problems w/the t-case.

'73K5,SM465,NP205,33"BFG,4"TuffCountry,3.73:1diffs
    350.4bolt+mods,Warn8000#,Factory skidplates