Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front wheel studs - help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wi86blazer, Dec 10, 2000.

1. wi86blazer

wi86blazer Registered Member

I guess I should introduce myself first...
    My username (wi86blazer) refers to my first Blazer that I picked up a few months back. An old friend of my Dad's passed away and his wife was selling his trusty snow plowing truck. It was cheap and at the time I thought it would be handy for cleaning out my driveway.

To make a long story short, after a few scraped knuckles and too much cash leaving my pocket, I realized the Blazer was to far gone, it had major rust damage and the motor was shot. I broke even when I sold it, but it also broke my heart, as bad as a rust bucket it was, I realy loved driving it!

Yes - I'm addicted.

A few weeks after selling the Blazer, my family and I went to Anahiem CA for a wedding and vacation. I took advantge of the situation and decided to look for a rust free Blazer while I was out there.

I looked at quite a few and finally found an 89 in great shape with a fresh crate motor, 33's and a 3 inch cat back. I bought it and had it shipped up here.

And now for my problem - it has 2 front wheel studs that need to be replaced.

I had the front wheel and brake caliper off this morning, but there isn't enough room to get the studs out - the back plate is in the way. It has auto hubs on it and I started taking the hubs off, but when I saw what was under the cap - I decided I was getting in over my head and stopped.

My question is, where can I find information on getting this apart far enough to replace the studs?

wi86blazer (with an 89)

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

You can get a Factory Service Manual and that will answer all you questions. A Hanes manual also has the hub exploded view. You will need a hub socket, about $10. After you pull the rotor you can beat/press out the old and in the new.

Jim '80 GMC
    Freedom First!
    http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com