Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front wheels locking up

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jackedk5, Aug 6, 2003.

1. jackedk5

jackedk5 Newbie

I recently bought an '88 k5 w/blazer. When I put it into four wheel hi and drive on pavement the front tires seem like their locking up. I drive it on dirt/grass and it seems fine. Is this normal for an older 4x4. Ive heard that it is and isnt but am looking for a larger response than my dad and my buddies...thx

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

4 hi on dry pavement with the hubs locked? or are they auto hubs..if its binding up you could have different gears front and rear..but id imagine that driving in 4hi with the hubs locked on pavement could be a pretty good drag...

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

First of all, welcome to CK5.
    Second of all, it is not recommended to drive on dry pavement in four wheel drive. In a straight line, you should be okay, but when you start to turn you'll experience driveline bind and the wheels will chirp a bit because they want to travel at different speeds.
    When do you experience this "locking up?" Only on turns? If it's really bad even in a straight line, you may want to check and make sure the axle ratio is the same front and back before you screw up your t-case! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. khotmer

khotmer 1/2 ton status

depends on how bad it really is ...it may be mis-matched gears if it hops and carries on but if it just making binding noise when turing and such it is probly okay.. my .02

5. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

shoulds like differnt gears to me too... you said its a 88 does it have a 10bolt front and rear?

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    When I put it into four wheel hi and drive on pavement the front tires seem like their locking up. I drive it on dirt/grass and it seems fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Operating to designed intent.

[ QUOTE ]
    Is this normal for an older 4x4.

[/ QUOTE ]

Normal for all true 4wds when locked (IE, not AWD)

7. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

It is normal for ANY real 4X4. It is just more noticeable on your truck because it isn't a tiny, light weight, short wheel base jeep. Keep it out of 4wd on the pavement unless you want to replace tires and other components sooner rather than later.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif