Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front wheels stuck

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DAMU RYDAH, Mar 30, 2002.

1. DAMU RYDAH

DAMU RYDAH Newbie

I recently bought a '85 suburban.It was running fine until a few days ago. When I put the truck in drive it wont move like the front wheels are stuck. The back wheels just spin out and burn rubber It reverses just fine.It wont even move when I put it in 4 wheel drive.People tell me its the drive shaft, differental or transfer case.I dont know too much about 4 wheel drive so any info helps.

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Jack it up off the ground (all four) and put it in gear. Look around and listen, too. It's a hunch but maybe your calipers are stuck. When the truck is jacked up try to spin the fronts with your hands. Put the t case in gear and see if the fronts turn. Remove the calipers and see how stuff works. Let us know what's up!!

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Fill out your profile, tell us about yourself, where you're from. MaAybe one of us lives down the block and can lend a hand.

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Thsi is my guess...there was no gear oil in the front, and the hubs were locked. The gears got hot and welded themselves together...happened to me on a newly rebuilt rear end, and the symptoms are the same.

5. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Calipers could be stuck. If you have locking hubs, unlock them. If it moves it could be that your front differential is seized. It might be your hubs too.

6. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Calipers could be stuck. If you have locking hubs, unlock them. If it moves it could be that your front differential is seized.

7. René

René 1/2 ton status

If the front wheels block in 2WD mode and unlocked hubs, only the brakes or the wheel bearings can be blocked.