Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front wheels torque

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by highline, Mar 5, 2000.

1. highline

highline Newbie

I am repacking my front wheel bearing on my 1990 blazer. I was needing to know what to torque the lock nut at.I have auto locking hubs. Would someone know off hand? I think it is 50 pounds then back off to 35 pounds if anyone knows for sure please let me know. thanks

2. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

i dont know about the torque specs, but i can say to ditch the auto hubs. not real expensive, easy swap, and the gains are awesome.

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

3. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

you are describing the ADJUSTMENT NUT proceedures... the lock nut on my 78 is 80 ft/lbs,,, my books don't go up to 90, so I'm not sure what your specs are....
    But if you're really asking what the adj nut specs are,, yes,, it's 50 lbs,, then back it off 90 degrees,, then torque to 35 lbs, then back it off 3/8 of a turn... again this is on my 78,, just did them yesterday,,

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

My manuel just described what Todd told you. Ididnt really like all this torque then back off stuff, so I called 4 wheel parts wholesalers and talked to a tech there. He said the standard practice is was 8-10 lbs on the inner nut and 50 on the outer. I have auto hubs and a '79, hope this helps.

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>life is a race, you have to look good and go fast!</font color=blue>