Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front winch bumpers, who has built their own?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Apr 13, 2004.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Well, 55will renegged. After 6 months of waiting, he can't finish my bumper project.

So, I'm obviously left with a number of options, but at the cost of bumpers, I'm seriously considering builidng my own.

I'm far from an expert welder, but with practice I'm sure I can weld up a set of bumpers. For the longest time I've been meaning to buy myself a MIG welder, and if I choose to take this project on, I'll be the only one to blame if they take forever and I don't deliver them to myself in time.

I am basically just rambling here. Those of you that have built your own bumpers, pics would be helpful. I'm thinking that the rear will be pretty straight forward. A plate on each side to hook up to the frame, some square tube or channel, and a few beads and it should be good to go.

The front is definitely going to be more involved, the biggest issue in my mind is the winch. Being a 12,000 lb. winch it definitely has the capability to destroy the bumper if it's not strong enough.

That said, I'm open to suggestions. I need to get this crap done already. I'm tired of waiting for someone else to build them for me, and I'm so fed up that I want to build them myself.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Here is a pic of what i'm building for my dads burb /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]

The rear is going to be similar(without the winch plate recess area, but have a recessed license plate/step in the center.

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

If you do build it yourself, I suggest you practice welding a while until your confident that your welds are strong enough to with-stand a winch pulling on it. This is a bit off topic, but I'm building a rear bumper this summer if the metal prices go down.
    P.s. Sorry I dont have pics because I haven't made a front one /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif If you do make one eventually post pics, one more question, are you going to build it out of tubing or just steel plate? Thanks

Steve

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

The one I have pictured of the front and the one I'm building for the rear is out of 4" x 10" C-channel 5/16" thick /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I made my rear bumper from tube and angle page here (I'd make the next one from 3/16th and have some different mounting. (this was a I'm bored and need to do something bumper, I probley wont even end up using it /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif)

The front I'm getting some ideas now, it going to be small like one of the Ohio guys made, it will have a receiver for a hitch/multi mount and shackle lugs... I hope to have it done before the Badlands trip :fingers crossed:

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I know how to weld, that really isn't what has got me worried here. I am worried about the actual design of the bumper. I would like to see the best way to assemble it, and go from there.

If I had a plan and the steel was cut and ready to go, welding it up would be the least of my worries.

My main questions are:

How far must the mounting brackets reach into the frame rails? There isn't much room with the front body mount in the way in the front, so I want to make sure I get enough engagement that it's strong enough.

How do you attach the front plane of the bumper to the mounts? Is a simple fillet weld strong enough?

Anyone have any good plans or detailed drawings as to how to do this? I'd like to at least try to do a decent job the first time if I tackle this project.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Here is a pic of what i'm building for my dads burb /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]

The rear is going to be similar(without the winch plate recess area, but have a recessed license plate/step in the center.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn that's sweet!!

How did you build in all those angles and curves? Is every one a seperate piece of plate, and a weld/grind/blend job?

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[​IMG]

[ QUOTE ]
    How did you build in all those angles and curves? Is every one a seperate piece of plate, and a weld/grind/blend job?

[/ QUOTE ]

The angles I cut on the bandsaw, but the radius'd parts from the cut off angles were recut and welded back on at the correct angle /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    How do you attach the front plane of the bumper to the mounts? Is a simple fillet weld strong enough?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to use some bolt on shackles bolted to the angle sections to help hold it, I have no idea what welds to use where and why I just weld till I have no place left to weld /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I'm part of the overboard engineering group, thus the 1/8" diamond plate floors /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

I've been studying the front mounting area and I'm really not 100% sure ona mounting but it will include a bolt through the top of the frame rail since my snow plow mount had bolts there also /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I have a 4"x1/4" plate sitting here, I'm thinking about a plate on top, bolted through the top of the frame rail, the receiver hitch will be welded to this plate, then on the inside of the frame I'll use the 4x1/4 again for brackets to bolt to the frame then they will be welded to a front plate that wraps around the bottom of the reciever hitch, the I'll use some 1/8th inch diamond tread ont he bottom as a skid plate /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    Maybe i will put some ideas on paper once I go measure again /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

10. jjlaughner

something like this
    [​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

11. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

I have some drawings of my front winch bumper floating around. If you want I can e-mail em to you. I have a peice of 1/2" steel bolted to each frame horn with 3 9/16" grade 8 bolts per side. The tube is 2" 3/16 wall and rests in some notches in the plates. I doubled up the 1/2" plate on the D-ring side to help side loading. Click on the pics link in my Sig.

12. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

if I may you guys should check out 4x4 iron the have all the cool stuff and at very reasonable prices. they have complete units and a complete line of do it yourself parts for bumpers. www.4x4iron.com /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

13. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

Reasonable! wow $600 is a punding in the butt IMO. I have $100 in mine.....steel and having the two clevis holes drilled. All built using a sawzall and stick welder.

14. offroad87

offroad87 Registered Member

hey T-ROY, why havent you threw in your advertisement on how you make and sell C channel bumpers out of 18 wheeler frames with the link to your site. just wonderin cause every other bumper related thread you seem to throw it in.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I have some drawings of my front winch bumper floating around. If you want I can e-mail em to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please do so.

16. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

The hard part of bracing the fronts is running it out to the ends since there'll be plenty or force on the outside corners when rubbing trees and rocks. Run the frame bracket clear to the body mount. if you need more bracing then that for the winch I'd run a brace inside the frame rail like by the first crossmember.

for the rear you need to run it as far in along the frame as possible with maybe a brace at the top or bottom of the frame to take all the leverage off of the bumper since it will sit quiet a ways away from the frame, like 12" away from the end of the frame so your brackets are a minimum of 18" longer is better especialy if you have a strap going back to a buddy who is tugging the bumper down.

better yet for the rear to be stronger I'd look into bobbing the bed til the bumper would mount directly to the frame rails. less over hang and no leverage.

17. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, although I'd love to have one of those bumpers they are way too expensive... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

18. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Please do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have mail /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

19. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tazz that's sweet! What did you cut the holes with? Circle cutter/ plasma-torch, or???

Man, I have to get started on mine...

Just picked up my Miller 210 mig, 375 plasma cut, and mix gas today, headed to Sears tonight for the air comp on clearance, then it's fabbin time!!! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

20. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Not realy a winch bumper but maybe it will give ya some ideas,the winch is mounted tween the frame rails.The center is 2x6x.25 and the round stuff is .140"wall 3/4"ID water pipe.The clevis mounts are 1x2,go all the way through the bumper,and welded front and back.

And thats a Corona bottle opener /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    [​IMG]