Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Windshield replacement?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by poinzey, Sep 7, 2004.

1. poinzey

poinzey 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to plan out replacing my front windshield soon and have a few Q's as I have never done a windshield before.

1) What parts do I need to buy new, if any? LMC lists only 2 pieces for the front, the rubber seal and the trim.

2) What other tools and supplies will I need? Eastwood Company shows a windshield removal kit. Do I need this to save the existing seal, or can I just make my own?

I'm not too worried about saving the old glass as its toast from a PO slamming the passenger seat into it at some point. Just not too sure what I will run into trying to get the old one out and new one in. Any advice and tips greatly appreciated, TIA! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

O, I did find a great link for a step by step walk through...
    Replacing a windshield

2. poinzey

poinzey 1/2 ton status

ttt
    Anyone on which parts I need to replace??? Is the main seal reuseable?

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

These trucks use a gasket around the window which can be re-used. The article you linked to explains how to remove a standard car windshield which is held in place by the urethane bead. The 73-87's don't use that bead of urethane, the gasket itself retains the windshield.

I just removed my windshield and did use that tool shown in the article. The previous installer ran a small bead on the inside of the gasket, and I'll probably do the same. A second set of hands would be a big bonus...I did crack my windshield taking it out. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Rene

4. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

my friend john used a piano wire to get the old one out.trying to save the glass,so i would maybe try it to save the old seal or at least not have broken glass in your cab. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. kazajames56

kazajames56 Registered Member

I just did one... first take out the metal clip at the bottom of the windshield trim. Then pull the trim piece out of the gasket all the way around the window. Here's where two people come in handy: if one person lifts the outside of the gasket out of the way a little bit and the other pushes along in the same spot from the inside, it comes out very easy. Then just pull of the gasket from the frame and clean it up.

Putting the windshield back in is a little more involved...
    I put some silicone where the gasket went around then put the gasket onto the frame. It wants to fall out along the top, so really jam it up there. Then lay the windshield into the bottom of the gasket, and work your way around carefully pushing the windshield into the gasket (once again, really easy with two people, and helps keep the new one from breaking). The tough part is getting the retaining trim back in: I used some soapy water to make everything slippery and a screwdriver to lift up the gasket area while I pushed the trim in. It takes a while, but go slow and you'll eventually get down a rhythm and it goes pretty quick. Then put the metal clip back on the bottom and you're done.

Anyone else notice that if you smash the old winshield it smells funny? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Steven