Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Winshields Interchangeable?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Boss, Aug 29, 2000.

1. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Are the front windshields from K5's years 73' to 91' all interchangeable? I would assume so, but you never know. I have a huge crack on mine (75') and need to replace it before winter. Gonna check the Bone Yards for it. I need to know actual fact on this and not guesses, b/c that would suck to buy one and not fit right. Thanks
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

2. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

I have a freind that works for LOF glass and she said there is a difference in certain "years".I found this out when my front glass broke in my 87k5.Sorry,but i cannot remember what "years" are interchangeable.

3. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Boss,
    My first guess is that they should all be the same. The only difference I can think of is that some (maybe all) have the radio antenna integrated into the windshield itself. I don't know how much experience you have with pulling windshields, but I personally found it pretty hard. Maybe I just didn't have the right tools or know the tricks, but it's pretty tricky to do without cracking it. Mine also has a crack and I plan on having it replaced after I paint my truck. Around here there's tons of glass places that will sell you a used one (cheaper), so basically they go out and pull it for ya and install it. You might consider looking into it, good luck.

4. Boss

Talldog,
    Yeah, I was considering going that route. I was going to get one from the Bone yard and then have one of them glass places put it in for me. Figure I would save big that way. I definately don't want to risk breaking another windshield. That would suck. Oh, and I don't have the antenna in the windshield. I have heard that other K5's windshield like that though. Thanks.
    Boss

[​IMG]

5. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Boss,
    Mine has the antenna in the windshield, but I plan on getting one those under-dash antennas in the future, so it won't be a problem if I get one without it. The under-dash ones are amplified so they have better reception and having it under the dash means you know longer have it whipped around by trees when your on the trail. I've had several windshields replaced in the past and another reason I think it's better to get this replaced by a pro is that you'll notice that there's a fat gasket that goes around it, so it might be harder to install. Another thing, I've seen pro installed windshields leak, so I'd rather have them do it and if it leaks then they'll have to fix it. Saves you a lot of potential headaches.

6. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

This is a good question. I bought a windshield seal for a 79 that said it would fit 73-91 from Classic Chevy. When I went to put the seal on the windshield, it didnt fit (the seal was too big). Took it back and the parts counter said it looks like I may have an after market windsield in it. I put the old seal back on the windshield and installed it and there is about a half inch play in the windshield (in the seal area with the locking strip installed). I know now why there was soo much sealant on the seal when I pulled the old window out. Took measurements off another K5 with the original windsheild and it is 1/2 inch larger than mine. I'm looking around for a new windshield now with the correct dimensions.

7. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Call around, I found a brand new windshield for my 83 blazer for $100 installed at National Auto Glass. Everyone else 300-400! I think they're a national chain.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

8. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Also called a local glass installer, 120 installed and they come to your house. All others were 200-350! This was on an 89. Might be more with windshield antenna.

9. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

Hey Boss,
    I work for a national company called Diamond glass. You would be better off buying a new one. The bone yards will probably want $40-50 for a used one then you'll pay $40-65 to have it installed. Look in your phone book for Diamond glass and call them for a price on a new one. It shouldn't be more than $145 installed at your location and it will be guaranteed against leakage or stress cracks. Good luck!

<font color=blue>Blazerbob</font color=blue>[​IMG]

10. Boss

Thanks for the info Blazerbob. For about $45 more for a brand new one doesn't sound that bad. installation for a new winshield is only around $50. That aint too bad either. I'll definately look yall up. I live in Columbia, Maryland.
    Boss

[​IMG]

11. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Boss,
    I was looking through the LMC (their URL is in the links section) and they list the 73-91 windshield as the same one. The only difference is the tint and the antenna. So I guess they're all interchangeable.

12. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I bought one out of a 80-something and put it in my 76. Used a piece of rope and some bar soap to install it. Does not leak. I know the pros use some kind of sealer, but I didn;t and it doesn't leak in when it rains and I can't hear any wind noise from the windshield (what with the leaky door weatherstripping, I probably couldn't hear it anyways ;)
    It's nothing for two guys to put a windshield in. The best part is getting the kick the old one out.

13. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

I'll be installing a new windshield after hunting season this year. Mine doesnt leak but it would be nice to have a new windshield. Won't need the winshield mounted anttenna. I put the last one in with the help of the wife unit. A little 409 and some parachute cord and it popped right in.