Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front yoke nut on a 203 is it reverse threads???????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chevyfumes, Aug 2, 2002.

1. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

is the front yoke nut on a 203 reverse threads,?????Because i have a 3/4" /forums/images/icons/mad.gif breaker bar on that bad boy and it wont budge.....

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

WTF, I tried both ways w/ a 2' 3/4" breaker bar and it wont budge I even hit it with a torch... NOTHING AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

No, no reverse threads. Just one tight mother of a nut!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Try using an impact gun, I mean a GOOD impact gun. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

its definately not reverse threads. remove both driveshafts, put the longest breaker bar you have on the nut, put the trans in 4lo, start the engine and put it in reverse*. with the breaker bar hitting the ground, something is going to give, hopefully the nut!

* proceed with caution!

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif I'd love to be a fly on the wall of your garage to watch your mechanical mishaps..... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    something is going to give, hopefully the nut!

[/ QUOTE ]
    LMAO!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif You mean, the nut holding the breaker bar? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

that cracks me up. if it was me, not only my POS snap-on ratchet would break but when it let loose it'd take out an exhaust or various other parts.

You need to put a close circuit camera in your garage and record yourself. I bet you'd get enough material to earn an award in no time.

8. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

on second thought, Id leave the rear drive shaft attached, jack up the rear wheels, and then do it. that way you could hold the brakes. other wise the only way to stop it is to throw it in park and if you have to give it throttle, it would start spinning real fast and possibly wreak havoc.

what with the power of a v8, the torque multiplication of the torque converter, and low range on top of that, I bet you could easily apply several thousand foot pounds of torque, no?

btw I dont usually do stuff like this /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Ive done the breaker bar on the harmonic balancer bolt a time or two but Im real cautious about it. if you think it thru, it can work really well and be safe.

If my IR2131 couldnt remove the nut (that thing is pretty powerful) then Id get a cheater pipe on my breaker bar.. if that still didnt do it, then something is wrong. the nut is crossthreaded or welded on or something. Thats when you have to break out the big guns /forums/images/icons/smile.gif what ever it takes!!

mike

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I had to drop the case and put it on the bench, put the yoke in the vise and it popped out the first time and there was so much friction on the yoke from the vice it started smokin' /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif The second try it twisted the head right off of my 3/4" to 1/2" extension and the third time I put one foot on it and climbed on fer dear life, just as I was about to give in that sucker started moving. Just an incredibly nasty little bugger, by far the worst I've ever come acrosss..... /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif