Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

frontend taper

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dr_moneypit, Aug 3, 2004.

1. dr_moneypit

dr_moneypit Registered Member

Ok i have seen this done on another forum what i need to know is how much do u cut off of your core support and grill and also do u bend the fenders in /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

2. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I'll take a stab at it while I am falling alspeep here

To simplify it, I removed the guts and the fender and raditor support.

Throw the fenders on the ground and shve the inner fender frame, cut just about every thing but the top curve/support.
    Leave the frnt alone for now.

Then decide how wide your front needs to be, I made mine just a few inches wider then my radiator.

I think the best option for strenth is to ditch the factory core support and radiator mounts.."if you were to keep it the over all strenth of the factory support is lost do to the amount cut off, it flexed to much"

so that left me with a piece of 2x4 c-channel, I then drilled my holes for my body mounts and bolted it up with new shorter bolts, also use large facttory style washers to spread the support.

then I threw the radiator on there and notched the side of it for my lower radiator out let so it would not contact the c-channel under hard driving. I ended up being able to use the factory rubber radiato supports "new ones" after adding a piece a spacer square tube to keep the radiator off my bolt heads for my body mounts.

I then took angle iron and made a squre frame infront of the radiator, then once done I ran to Napa auto and grabbed some cheap bushing from their rotation parts deal-a-bobs, they were 3.99 a pair.

then I spaced the bushings between the square frame top piece of angle iron and the raditor, then slide in a 3/8 bolt with washers threw the factory holes in the top of the radiators frame.

Fot the bottom I used the same spacers and drilled the holes threw the side of the c-channel

useing the c-channel also gave me really study mounting for the lights and radiator and steering coolrs.

as for the fenders I kept the rear bolt on positions but reiforced them do to vibrations cracking it, after bolting the fenders up I cut a slit cust about a foot fron the start of the rear of the fender and cut the curved lip of the fender, with that don I had a friend hold the rear of the fender while I pushed against it till it bent to my front radiator.

I mounted the fenders twice and three different ways..

1..just weld her up...result vibration crackes this upon impacts /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

2 I welded 1/4 inch bolts around the radiator suppot, after tacking the fender in place I dilled the fender holes then added nuts and washers to hold the fender..gave the front a beadlocked look

and my final option..I did in 5 minutes was so I could drive to a meet and greet and hour away..this after just getting it running and the alxes locked and regeared.. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    I added some 0.95 wall tubbing verticle and just welded the front of the fenders on.. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

as for the hood, I skinned it good, and did not support it so I could keep the weight on it real low, then I added some 1/8 plates on the cowl area and used hood pins from auto zone, for the front I put them into the angle iron frame by the radiator..

I also ended up just putting the radiator over flow to threw the hood and twoards the winshild..

I had a electric fan and if it wasnt on the spraying on the windshiled was a great indicator I left the fan off or a relay went out..

The way I see it it saved my motor after a bran new guage failed /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    after that I carried spare relays, I originally used silinoids but there design is not ment for a constant current flow, killed a few of them before learning how the dard ford parts worked /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

well there is a book for ya, /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

sorry if speeling is off but I am tired ..blabbing.. and in californiaon my last night of vacation /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

-shawn

also look in my link for a billion pics /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

o

3. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

[​IMG]

if you care for good looks measure twice cut 3 times..

I just cut... /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif