Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Frothy Oil!!! Arg!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RustBuket, Jun 17, 2004.

1. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Well, I checked the oil and its all frothy! I guess this means I can't drive it anymore cause the head gaskets are leaking. Makes me mad cause I just rebuilt the engine 5000kms ago.... Well anyways, its a 305 and I was just thinking that since I'm going to be ripping the heads off anyways I might as well replace the cam with something that'll give me a little more torque. What is good? I hear good things about Xtreme Energy 4x4 offroad cams. Opinions? Suggestions?> /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. monsterjim

monsterjim 1/2 ton status

Are you going through heads or gaskets from overheating or over revving? better get the problem fixed before you upgrade to much and add more stress to the motor. Do you have a rev limiter? As far as cams go, your heads need to flow right, have the right intake and exhaust, they all work together. Do a search or go to a spec page to see what your rig will handle and what cam is ideal for what you want to do. lol

3. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

My truck really only sees DD and the occaisional bit of mud or dirt. I wish I could offroad it more but sadly it doesn't. So yeah I didn't think it s from over revving and it always runs cool so its not overheating either. My sister's bf said its because I used silicone on the head gaskets when I installed them (because the book said I was supposed to....) Anyways I have headers and a performer intake with stock heads.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    My sister's bf said its because I used silicone on the head gaskets when I installed them (because the book said I was supposed to....)

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps it is the problem then. I have never heard of that, I would love to read that book out of curiousity. I don't know any schooling , but I have always laid head gaskets down bare and torqued up the heads. Mine were installed 3 years ago and 30,000 miles ago . I have no problems , and it is a 305 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

What book said to coat the gasgets with silicone? /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    For a cam I would use one with around 206* @.050.

6. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Its the "How to Rebuild your SBC" book. Maybe the book didn't say to and I just misread it...I dunno. Anyways so any other cam suggestions?

7. monsterjim

monsterjim 1/2 ton status

Maybe get an MSD 6AL box with the cam aslo, They have a built in rev limiter and are a breez to install, the 206* cam sounds about right to get some more torque out of it.

8. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sure you haven't overfilled the oil pan?

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

The 305 is about the only small block (except the 400 SB)that uses a different head gasket #(8505PT Fel-Pro) than all the others(7733PT Fel-Pro,fits 283,307,327,350)--make sure its the right number--the silicone was a no-no too,most all non-retourque head gaskets never use any sealer.I put 307 heads on a 305,couldnt get a firm answer from anyone what # gasket to use,so I used the 350 ones I had hanging around and guess what--the oil turned milky in about a week--had to pull the heads and change the gaskets back to the 305 ones--luckily the motor survived,I changed the oil 3 times in about 50 miles,no raps so for....hope it stays that way! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

10. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Myself if the cam is good and all ya have to do is reseal the heads then do that and let it go.
    A gasget kit is around $50.
    I would take the $ for the cam and put it in a 350 jar.
    I wouldn't spend one red cent on a 305 other than to keep it going.
    As far a rev limiter???
    I ran a 305 till it was about dead. It seen 6K more than once for many runs up a dune or through the goo.
    All it needed to keep on going was a new lifter.
    But I didn't want to spend any money on it so I bought a plant with 4500 miles on it and am in the process of rebuilding that.

11. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

And as far a coolant in the oil contamination...
    run a cheap filter and oil and change the oil after running it a bit, do that every few hundred miles.
    Coolant and bearings don't mix and you want to be sure to get it all out.

12. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The only place on the top end that I've ever seen a recommendation for silicone sealer is for the intake gasket. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif And then they only recommend it for around the water ports and as a replacement for the end gaskets.

13. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Alright well thanks for the advice guys. Since I'm going to university in the fall there is no "350 jar". I may as well put the bigger cam in and have a little more power cause I got nothing right now. I could always switch the cam over too if I did do a swap.

14. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    there is no "350 jar". I may as well put the bigger cam in and have a little more power cause I got nothing right now. I could always switch the cam over too if I did do a swap.

[/ QUOTE ]
    For that plant I would stay with a grind that has around 206* .
    Any more than that and then you get into all the other goodies like intake, headers (bigger plant) better heads (bigger plant)
    For a reliable 305, stock stuff and a 206* cam go hand in hand.
    Use a quality timing chain and motor on.