Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fround wheel drive with full floater kit

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by James90, Dec 17, 2000.

1. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

if I put a full float kit in my 10 bolt and put warn hubs in it can I unlock the hubs put it in 4WD and have frount wheel drive to make tight truns

and could I put a twin stick NP205 on a doubler and make a tri stick doubler

thanks for your time

[​IMG]Go prepared

http://www.trailblazer90.coloradok5.com

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

If you go with the locking hub option, you could unlock a hub to use it for turning in various situations. In fact, that's one of the things that attracted me to the kit to start with. One spot on 21 Road has a tight downhill left with a diff grabbing rock unavoidably in the center. I always hung the 14 bolt there, but i found that if I stuck a tire behind that rock's neighbor, it would hang there and just spin until the others pulled it around down the hill and I looked like I knew what I was doing. After that, I thought it would be really useful to unlock that left hub instead of having to find a big rock to spin it against, but......
    HOWEVER, the locking hub for a rear end application is not something you want to unlock on the trail. They had problems with the hubs backing out due to bent axle housings so Warn incorportated a solid blocker ring and a set screw in the dial. They are not very easy to lock in after you get them unlocked, so I went the simple route and used the full time gears. The twin stick on the 205 is an easier way to get front wheel drive. It's on our project list.

[​IMG]
    SW-ORD

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Wow Stephen, I'm impressed that you snaked your K5 through 21 Road. I've hitched a ride through there with some Jeepin' buddies before and that is one NASTY trail! I'm guessing that you did have to take the bypass where the trail goes under the rock dome. There's a spot there where it's hard to squeeze a Jeep through the opening as you go nearly straight up and take that hard left to keep from hitting the wall. The rest of the trail has some pretty interesting obstacles! Last spring it took a group of about 10 Jeeps from 10 AM until 6 PM to get through. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

4. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

5. Stephen

It wasn't too bad the first couple times through 21 Rd, I took the bypass around the overhang the first time, then stayed in the creek bed the 2nd time, but the third time it was washed out really bad and i ended up on the cable just to get through one section. It was about the same width as a k5, actually about 1/8" narrower according to my paint. Shortly after that I pulled the steering box off the frame. Broke one of the mounting ears, broke 2 bolts and pulled one bolt through the frame. ouch! I beefed it some more after that, weld in repair kit in addition to the bolt on brace kit.
    I know the spot you're talking about, you can fit a jeep width vehicle pretty easy, but bronco size or a rover is the absolute max, and you better not have more than a 12.50 wide tire on it! Some places I don't even try to go.
    Carnage Corner was a lot more fun after the crossover steering conversion. The first time i had to pretty much point straight ahead and go for it, with steering i could go around the rocks instead of over them, it was pretty cool!
    As for the 205 twin stick with a Doubler, it won't be a problem, a custom home built shifter would be very possible, it's just how well you carry it off. i ran a pretty ugly twin stick for a couple years that worked really well.

[​IMG]
    SW-ORD

6. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Wow. Sounds like you had a tough day on 21 Road! How did you get home with the steering box hanging off the frame? [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

8. Stephen

I rode home with someone else! We went back the next day with a new box and bolts, beat the frame back to where it would stay on and drove it home. 1st and hopefully last time I've left my truck immobile on the trail.

[​IMG]
    SW-ORD