Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

frozen body bolts

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MNorby, Oct 4, 2006.

1. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

going to start installing a body lift tonight and got all the nuts off the but can't get any bolts to come out, just lift up through frame mount and the back most bolt won't even do that but a half inch up. Looks like the back 2 bolts are tack welded to the body too. Any tips? I am to the point of griding off head then airhammer down but figured would see if there is any other ways people have done it. thanks.

2. bigdon-70blazer

bigdon-70blazer Registered Member

I had the same problem on my 1970 blazer. The bolt heads are ever so gently tack welded down, why was that? We took an angle grinder to it and went slowly until the weld could be broken off by tapping it on the bottom with a hammer.

3. MNorby

i have a porta power under that single bolt with the truck in air by it. I may leave it under stress and start grinding.

4. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

I did like bigdon-70blazer did, but there were a few where I had to grind the bolt head all the way off and knock the remaining bolt shank out the bottom. I had a hard time on one of the front bolts under your feet location. I think I used my air hammer with a V chisel head to cut the sleeve - the bolt had seized to the sleeve. That took care of that problem in mere seconds. Gotta love air hammers!

5. MNorby

I messed with it a little tonight and my quesiton was, on the rear bolts that are a carriage type bolt if i grind the head of the bolt off and try to air hammer down with the square flange on the top of bolt fit down that cast in sleave/tube type deal in the main body support (Make senase)? if so I will hammer down. If not i would prob shoot myself in foot doing that and wedge the square flank part of carrage bolt in that tube deal.

6. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

I had that concern too and they did get a bit hung up but I was able to use a longer bolt and a small sledge to drive the bolts down and out. It's been more than two years since I did this but if my memory serves me right, I think I did almost every carriage bolt in this manner.

7. MNorby

sweet, thanks Yukon Jack, that is what I needed to hear. :waytogo: