Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Frozen Wiper Sprayers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by andhar, Dec 20, 2004.

1. andhar

andhar 1/2 ton status

Ok, big problem for me here since I have to use them like every 5 mins on the highway in this kind of weather, how do i get them unfrozen so they can spray? I had the sh!tty blue fluid in till this morning after I got off work and 3" of snow on the ground .

Anyway anyone have any suggestions I spray em with deicer and that sure as hell didnt work...
    BTW on my Impala the fluid is heated but on our trucks I dont think it is so is there a way to make the fluid heated ?

thanks yall

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I thought most of the new stuff had some sort of antifreeze in it already?

Only thing I can think of is to go run the vehicle until it gets up to temp, then let it idle in place until the underhood heat starts to transfer heat to everything.

Other than that, some quality time with a hair dryer?

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

frozen de-icer???

I'd do a few things--like buy a good quality de-icer,not the 79 cent stuff at the corner store--I've had stuff rated for ten below freeze solid on the highway,completely obscuring my vision at 55mph!!:yikes: :yikes: --I have seen a few attemps at making a heater for the windsheild washer fluid by wrapping the hose around one of the heater hoses(one guy used 1/4 inch copper tubing,another made a thing out of a peice of copper tubing,one inside the other,the fliud was in the outer pipe,and the coolant in the inner one,he soldered it together with copper washers and put 2 nipples in it for the fluid hoses to hook onto it--seems to me they used to make one of those things in past years??)and it seemed to work pretty good,but it wont work if the fluid is a block of ice in the tank--you need some de-icer that will actually MELT ice,like the prestone piss colored stuff--or you could get some de-natured alcohol at a paint store to "boost" the cheap stuff,but your paint might not like it..years ago,at the local gas company where my dad worked,they bought 55 gallon drums of methanol for use in the windsheild sqirters and the gas tanks for dry gas--but dont use methanol in EFI vehicles for dry gas--it eats the o-rings on the injectors--isopropanol is ok,and works better to remove water anyway..Maybe you could use a longer heater hose and wrap it around the whole washer fluid tank?...:thinking: