Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FRS radio users - I need opinions

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Can Can, Jul 16, 2002.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm in the market for a pair of FRS radios, and I wondering if any of you own some yourself. I know a lot of guys use them for communication on the trails.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a pair by Motorola, but any input would be appreciated. The one option I need is the voice-activated switch, because I intend to use them as a baby monitor as well.

Thanks, brothers!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

2. ratpack7

ratpack7 Guest

The Motarola is about he best you pay alittle more but its worth it. I use one at work and other guys have bought the cheeper ones and they brake to easy.

3. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

I have a few of the Kenwood FRS radios...

IMO they are better than the Motorolas, due to the proprietary voice scrambler function in addition to the CTCSS (PL) codes, as well as the price differential. This function (defeatable) allows you to only be able to talk with other Kenwoods and affords much greater privacy. I have four of the first generation and four of the second generation types with only an occasional battery memory issue (NiCd). The second generations are more aesthetically pleasing, however. They can also be VOX, with the appropriate option.

4. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

I too must weigh in with the Motorola's. I bought the model 250's (or whatever - they're
    downstairs and I'm not gonna go look at them). Anyway - they're great on the road, trail
    or hunting (dove field especially).

5. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I have three of the motorola talkabouts only number that is consistant between all of them is NUE2565A. Features are code button, up/dwn freq. buttons, PLL/MIC/headphone(s) plug, monitor, analog volume control. I can say that I have no bleed over, PLL works great, and everyday use is awesome. Down fall is the battery life. Three AA every 6 hrs(continous useage) or a weekend (on/off). These were not released as waterproof, I have dropped them in mud puddles and they have fallen out of my climbing pack a few times. No drop in quality yet. Hope this helps any.

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I dont know if they're the best, but i've got a pair of cobras and I like them. Cool for vehicle to vehicle communications or hiking trips, whatever. As a side note, I've seen some at wally world lately for $20 a set but i'm not sure of the brand.

7. StoneyK5

StoneyK5 1/2 ton status

I bought a pair of Motorola FRS from Radio Shack and think they are great. I have a pair of handheld 40 channels also, but these are really compact. Go to Radioshack.com and click telephones and communications and click FRS radios. The ones I got are Model 2101854, Cat. # 21-1854. They have 14 channels with 38 quite codes for a total of 532 channels, 8 weather channels with weather alert so you can listen to the weather reports anytime you want to. It is also voice activated and viberates instead of the ring tone if needed. I got rechargable batteries, but they didn't seem to last as long as alkaline, about 30 hours they say, less if the voice act. is on. They are 100 bux but I got a sale price of $70 each. I have compared mine with others and people are impressed with all that these radios can do. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Thanks a lot for all the info, brothers!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif