Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Frustation like no otherAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Oct 24, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay. I have the k5 in the carport so it cant snow on it.
    Today I went out and tried to melt the rubber part of the body mount assembly. I have 1 bolt that is keeping me from taking the body off (besides a few misc. things like the fuel tank neck). I have come to the conclusion I will do anything to get the bolt out. I tried melting the rubber, and it took 30 minutes to get half way through. And the metal part wont even move yet. I was going to cut the bolt head off when I melted all the rubber. But the rubber just wont melt!
    What other ways can I go about getting this darn bolt out? It really kicks me in the head when something so small keeps me from continuing on the project. I have a little Dremel grinder that has little 1" sanding discs that I might try to use to cut the bolt off, if I can get the rubber out. I cant use my grinders because they are to bulky.

help.

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Re: Frustation like no other

First off those Dremel sanding discs/cut off wheels are worthless for anything larger than a paperclip.

Secondly, what are you using to heat the rubber bushing? A blow dryer? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Seriously, bust out some oxy/acet and be done with it.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

hes probably using a propane hand torch. Whats not moving about it? Does it just spin? I'd consider cutting a hole in the floor to access the other side of the bolt and maybe hold the captive nut if its spinning. If its spinning free now, it won't reinstall later, the captive nut is already busted free. I've dealt with that before with rust.

4. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

it's always some little stuff that makes the whole job suck! you can't melt the rubber you gotta put a propane torch on it and wait till it starts to catch fire. you might want to have a fire extinguisher handy for that! just in case. how about a hacksaw? can you get at the bushing with one? if so cut the rubber and bolt all at once. sawzalls work nice also. if you gotta burn the bushing let it catch fire and it wont take long till it starts to come off by itself /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

5. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    First off those Dremel sanding discs/cut off wheels are worthless for anything larger than a paperclip.

Secondly, what are you using to heat the rubber bushing? A blow dryer? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Seriously, bust out some oxy/acet and be done with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh... I just recently tried to cut away the rubber body mounts with an acetylene torch and it didn't work. Got some burnt knuckles out of the deal. And I was just trying to get it off, I didn't give a rip what happened to the body (gone to scrap).

I'd probably just drill a hole in the floor. Then you can heat up the captive nut with a MAPP or acetylene torch and use the impact on the bolt.

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    hes probably using a propane hand torch. Whats not moving about it? Does it just spin? I'd consider cutting a hole in the floor to access the other side of the bolt and maybe hold the captive nut if its spinning. If its spinning free now, it won't reinstall later, the captive nut is already busted free. I've dealt with that before with rust.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I have a ratchet on the head of the bolt, I can turn the whole bolt/nut. I cut a hole in my floor to see the nut. But there is a little cage around it so I can't get at the nut. I was using a propane torch, yeah. The big metal cup thing that holds the rubber wont move.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the metal cup should be held on by the bolt so it shouldn't move. Sounds liek the captive nut let loose. I've never seen this cage you are speaking of. The setup should be a U shape channel of the body mount with sheetmetal(the floor) spot welded over the open part of the U. Remove the floor should have direct access to the bolt. Unless the cage you speak of rusted away on my last K5.

8. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Sawzall?

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

this is the little cage im talking about. it goes over top of the nut. I guess its spot welding to the channel underneath the body.

[​IMG]

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Sawzall?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont have one, yet.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I sawzalled mine.

If I were you, having a welder, I'd weld that nut back to the floor on all 4 corners. Then I'd hose it down with PB Blaster, let it soak overnight, and take that bolt out.

12. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Take that dremal and cut the part of the bolt off flush with the cage ..then use a center punch and make a mark in the center of the bolt...Then start with a s small drill working you way up in size till there is no more bolt..Then take a hammer and smack it though the hole and out it comes... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Take that dremal and cut the part of the bolt off flush with the cage ..then use a center punch and make a mark in the center of the bolt...Then start with a s small drill working you way up in size till there is no more bolt..Then take a hammer and smack it though the hole and out it comes... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]\

Hmmm... I may try that. Sounds easy, as long as I can drill it /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'd cut the cage off then do what Tim said. Like I said previouslly, if you are reusing this body you will eventually have to tack that captive nut back down anyway.

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Will the weld hold though? it's all rusty...

16. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

cut the cage off and put a set of vice grips on the bolt-have someone hold it or just grind the bolt head off, which is what i would do it would be quicker! whatever works since you are not restoring the truck anyways

17. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

I jumped the gun there...Yea if you can get the weld to hold then try that way first...BUT i thought you said in the other post that you already soaked it in lube...But give it a try (will save you repair time later that way)
    If is still wont budge or the weld wont hold to that rust then I know here at my hardware store they sell capture nuts and then just cut the cage right down the middle(Pry it open) to get the nut out and the new one in then tack the cage back together after the nut is in and tight..
    And if you drill the bolt out you will still need to get a new nut in there...Just something to keep in mind /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

18. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

well, I am just going go out and see if I can dremel the cage off. Then from there I'll deside whats easiest to get out.

19. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

if anything right now just cut in down the middle and pry it open to get at that nut better...then go from there..

20. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I jumped the gun there...Yea if you can get the weld to hold then try that way first...BUT i thought you said in the other post that you already soaked it in lube...But give it a try (will save you repair time later that way)
    If is still wont budge or the weld wont hold to that rust then I know here at my hardware store they sell capture nuts and then just cut the cage right down the middle(Pry it open) to get the nut out and the new one in then tack the cage back together after the nut is in and tight..
    And if you drill the bolt out you will still need to get a new nut in there...Just something to keep in mind /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the bolt head is soaked in MOOVIT lube, but thats probably evaperated from the torch.