Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

frusterating problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Paxx, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Ok when my truck sits for more than a few hours at a time, I go to start it and it gets no gas to the carb. So I go and pour a shot of fuel into it and it fires right up first crank no problem. Once fired up it runs fine and continues to do so even after shut off, until it sits for a few more hours. Then I have to do it all over again.

Why is this? I'm not sure if you remember the story of Brown Betty getting all smashed up in the hills but the last part of the story that I never posted was about a week after I got her back from ICBC I went to put in gas and found the filler neck full of sand. The gas tank was pulled and cleaned since and the problem has just started to get worse now. I'm not sure if it would be related but I just thought that I would throw that in just in case.

Thanks for the help guys
    ~Max

2. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Oh and its a Rochester Q-jet carb as well /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh and its a Rochester Q-jet carb as well

[/ QUOTE ]

How old is it ? The well plugs under the carb could be leaking fuel . A really good rebuilt one has these epoxied shut , factory ones are just plugs , not unlike freezeplugs . It sounds like bowl is empty after awhile . I am sure if you cranked it for a short while , it will get gas and fire up /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. gonecheenin

gonecheenin 1/2 ton status

If it won't start no matter how much you crank check your fuel feed line for pin hole's and try replacing your fuel pump, the diaphram might have a pin hole as well

When the engine's cranking the leak is enough to keep it from drawing fuel, but when it fire's it start's pumping hard enough to overcome the leak and get the fuel back up to the carb

If it does start after cranking it for awhile it's probaly gonne be the carb leakown problem described above /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. SickboySS

SickboySS 1/2 ton status

try replacing the fuel filter

6. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Your fuel pumps one way check valve has probably gone bad, thus allowing fuel to drain back into your feul tank. Fuel pumps have a spring-loaded check ball valve that acts as a one-way check valve, which allows fuel to go only one way...towards the carburetor. You will probably need to replace your fuel pump, in order to correct this problem.

7. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

What all these guys said. Start with the fuel filter or filters. Don't forget the one in the carb. After that I would try and get a hold of a fuel pressure gauge and check your fuel pressure when you crank it over and check the pump this way. If that isn't it then I would lean toward the carb. I had one that leaked the float bowls empty but it would leak them into the manifold. Crank it over and it would pop once and then nothing. It always popped over once though from the fuel sitting in the intake.

8. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Hey thanks for all the replies guys, I will check all those out /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif