Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FRUSTRATED, just took a 200 mile trip in the K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RESTORE89, Aug 10, 2001.

1. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

just traveled about 200 miles round trip in the blazer, and am still frustrated with the front end situation
    I NEED some new ideas how to improve the highway characteristics of my truck.
    this is an ongoing battle, and so far i am losing.
    tasks completed recently
    new sway bar bushings
    new ssv's, new drag link and tie rod ends, front end alignment, bearing and bushing in steering column at firewall, new wheels and balanced tires, new stabilizer tm5000 to match ssv's

steering "feels" a little squirrely, not real bad, no excess play, in fact it is almost to sensitive, and no real drift to speak of, it just takes constant attention to stay in the lane on a 2 lane road at 60mph

What are the tell tale signs of a bad gear box??
    i think every thing else has been replaced!!!!!
    any ideas or sugestions

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

2. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Are you running a lift, and what size tire. It sounds like you have thought of everything, but if you didn't do the work yourself, someone may have screwed up someof work. What about ball joints. How many miles on truck. I have an 89, lift and 35's, and she is remarkably great on-road behavior. If you want to update, you could go to a variable speed sensitive AGR box, to make it less sensitive at on highway speeds.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

3. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

no lift factory springs (slight rear sag) and 33 12.50 mt reguls
    did most except the alignment and wheels and tires

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The ball joints could have a bit of slop, but I'll vote for the tires. I had a 4WD Dodge van several years ago that wandered all over the highway, until the day I installed a new set of radial tires on it. It was like I'd bought a new truck!!! The old tires just liked to follow ruts in the road. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

5. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

just had new tires about 1000 miles ago, and i think they are radials, and it did this i think with the old ones, could i be expecting to much from a truck with 13,900 miles showing ( unknown wether 100 or 200 ), but regardless of the miles, if i replace the parts shouldnt it run like new???, and i also replaced the ball joints with the tie rod ends

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?

6. 90idahoblazer

90idahoblazer 1/2 ton status

keep in mind with a solid axel you cant adjust camber just toe in and out. You are going to have some tracking going on especially if you sag in the rear and are light in the front....Just my two cents

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The next thing then would be to put it on an alignment rack and check the caster angle. If it's too close to zero then your rig will wander all over the road.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

8. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

never have been real satisfied with the alignment
    shop said passenger side was leaning out at the top and put a shim to adjust, and never did trust , i think rig was rolled by PO
    i think i will try a different alignment shop, it is worth a try, plus i am getting a 1 1/2" block for the rear to level it out

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?

9. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

10. WOODYJ

WOODYJ 1/2 ton status

I am in the opinion that it would be more of a tire problem than anything else at this point. I have had the handling of my K5 go to h*** in a hand basket with a tire change. It would get so squirrely I could hardly keep it on the road at 50mph. Changed tires, and no more problem. I really recommend a radial with a stiff sidewall to get good road manners out of a K5. I have had some pretty soft sidewalled tires on that were very acceptable, but all the tire pressures had to be the same, etc. If you have two different kinds of tires on front and rear---you can't get it to go down the road without trying to swap ends. Been there, done that--didn't like it!!

k5woody I Don't Understand The Jeep Thing Either!!!

11. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I agree with mughog. If a wheel bearing is loose or worn, it will cause wander as if you had a bad tie rod or ball joint. If that's not the case, check the tires. Maybe a friend could let you swap tires for a few days and see if the problem disappears.

<font color=purple>//////
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blazer79.freeyellow.com>blazer79.freeyellow.com</a></font color=purple><font color=black>
    Soon a 454 K5!!</font color=black>
    [​IMG]

12. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I understand exactly how you feel- I've spent a lot of time and money trying to get the ol 84 running straight, and I'm not sure what else to do.

I'm going to try installing a new steering stabilizer(the old one looks and feels ok but it's the only thing I haven't touched other than springs and shocks).

My wheel bearings look good too, but I find it interesting that they've been the problem in the past fro some of you guys. Is there anyway to tell if they're on the way out ?

<font color=red>PHOTO ALBUM-</font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798</a>.......<font color=blue>TRUCK & HIKING PICS</font color=blue>

13. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I also wanted to mention that I really think my problem is in the steering box, too. I know EXACTLY what you mean about the steering feeling too sensitive and always having to make tiny adjustments while driving on the highway

Frig, I never thought I'd have to worry about overly-sensitve steering on a K5[​IMG]!!!!!!

<font color=red>PHOTO ALBUM-</font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798</a>.......<font color=blue>TRUCK & HIKING PICS</font color=blue>

14. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

You didn't write anything about a steering box brace. Have one of those yet? Besides as just a safety thing, when I installed mine, the steering and everything just felt tighter and better.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

15. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

no brace, but have cheched the frame by putting the tire against the curb and getting a buddy to turn the wheel and i get no movement
    thanks for all the ideas,
    how to tell if a bearing is going bad??????

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?

16. LAZYMON

LAZYMON 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Get the ORD brace! It made a big differance in my handling and will prevent future problems. Many people on this board will tell you what a differance it makes.

Let The Sun Shine Down Upon My Face
    Topless 73

17. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If the alignment shop didn't get the toe-in right it would be squirrely too. I just got back from a 3000 mile trip with my Jimmy, the last 1400 towing another K5 and unless the road was very rutted the steering was a relaxed one handed affair. BTW I run fairly worn bias ply 36" TSL's

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

18. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

You might try running a little more toe-in than the factory spec. The reason for toe-in is that the drag from the tires will cause the front to try to toe-out, and the initial toe-in spec is supposed to counter act this so that the wheels point straight when you are going down the road. Bigger tires = more friction = more tendency to toe-out. Toe-out on the front end will make the truck wander.

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

19. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Where's the give for the tires to toe out more? In the tie rod or the tie rod ends??

Brian
    89KBlazer

Build it Right or Don't build it at all!!

20. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I just took a trip to Disney Oklahoma in my K5. 6.5 hour trip (one way) in a K5 equipped with 37" Boggers, Lockers, 4.10 gears, and around 7" of lift. Now, what seems to be your problem? [​IMG] Just kidding. My K5 always wanders all over the highway, plus with locking dif it tends to change lanes when you are on/off the throttle. I will tell you one thing, dont spend a ton of money trying to get a Blazer to drive better on the highway. We are talking about a 4wd vehicle with solid front axle. Just dont want to see you frustrated because you have unloaded a ton of cash, and still havent got that Corvette like ride.

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue>www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com</font color=blue>