Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Frustrated Newbie needs answers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ncbloodhound, Feb 24, 2004.

1. ncbloodhound

ncbloodhound 1/2 ton status

Ok, I am new to K5s and vehicles so please bare with me.

I am trying to replace the spark plug wires on my 90 k5. I can't figure out how to get those stupid plastic clips off that hold the wires together without breaking them. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I have broken the ends off of everyone and can't get the wires out! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I know changing the wires is supposed to be easy and I feel lame posting this question, but the way they are routed behind the metal brackets on the back of the block with the clips makes them a bear to get off. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Should I just break them and replace them, or break them and zip tie the new wires together?

Should I also reroute the wires through the same convuluted path?

Thanks!

-a frustrated newbie. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

Re: Stupid Newbie needs answers

Chuck them and go get you a set of Accell 8.8's Universal then route them down over the top of the valve covers. They come with different boots that will work for your application, and also wire separators to space them out. If done right you probably wont need to get new wire looms. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: Stupid Newbie needs answers

I like Taylor wire .

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Those plastic separators get baked and brittle from the heat in the engine compartment. It isn't unusual for them to break while trying to remove the wires from them. If you want to retain the factory appearance then you're at the mercy of the GM dealer for new clips. You can also get aftermarket separators, but most of the ones that I've seen are made to bolt onto the early non-center-bolt valve covers. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. ncbloodhound

I actually managed to save most of the clips. I put the new wires on the clips and routed the wires in the original location.

Then after I get all that done I start to plug the wires in and one of them is screwed up. The boot on one of the plugs is on tight, but I can't see the metal clip that snaps to the top of the spark plug. I tried working it out, but couldn't. Oh well, back to advance for another set of wires.

Guess I should have checked them out first...lesson learned. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Just take the one defective wire with you, they'll replace only one.

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I make mine for free.... Take a long zip tie and go around all four wires of each side loosely, then take smaller zip ties and go around first zip tie INBETWEEN the individual wires, then zip em all tight and the wires will be evenly spaced and snug. Do this where the plugs are too, tie 1-3 together 5-7, 2-4 6-8 etc. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif They have all the different colors at most hardware/depot type stores. Take the savings and get stuff newbies will need to be prepared like tow hooks and straps, a shovel etc. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. ncbloodhound

Thanks for all the tips! I will take the 1 wire back tonight.

9. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifI Like the msd 8.5 ignition wires. I put mine through hell and have never had a problem. we run them on alot of cars also. Plus if you get the universal set it comes with a special tool /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gifthat makes making the wire ends a snap. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif good luck

10. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I got some Holley generic V8 wires and they don't really fit very well at all. I zip tied them to get them kind of organized and off the headers. No crossfiring yet.

I originally got some Accel cut-to-fit types, but they were driving me insane. I think you need a high quality crimping tool to do that right. I got a cheapo plug wire crimping tool and it was not working for crap. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif The crimp would always give while I tried to pull the end into the boot.

11. atlantak-5er

atlantak-5er 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hijack, but i heard you guys got dumped on last night (snow). Is this true? If so I may stap the snowboard to the roof and check out hawksnest or beech mtn. Let me know man, thanks.

12. avgas

avgas 1/2 ton status

try feeding the wire through the boot first and then pull the extra back through after crimping.

13. ncbloodhound

We got 6" in Charlotte and Beech got about 9" and they are expecting more. Hawksnest is my favorite though.
    Check www.skinc.com/ for the latest reports.

PS- With 6" of snow on the ground it took me over 3 hours to get home today (20 miles). You would have thought the world was ending the way people were driving. Good thing I got the K5 running again last night.

14. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    try feeding the wire through the boot first and then pull the extra back through after crimping.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I did. Pulling it back through the 90 degree bend still took some force and my crimps would not hold. I must be lame. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I'll wait for these to wear out and maybe try it again sometime. I didn't purposely get a cheap crimping tool, but all it seemed to do was flatten the crimp out instead of pinching the ends in like a factory crimp.

15. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

I like the Mallory pro sidewinder wires. I first used them on my 69 Camaro, and I used them on an 84 K5 that I used to own. It had a 350, and the wires were routed under the manifolds, alongside the block. I figured that a good wire was needed in such a situation, so I called mallory and they had the exact set I needed for the 84, with the correct boots and they were premade so I didn't have to mess with anything. They make them for both HEI and non HEI applications.
    Tom /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif