Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Frustrated

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I just spent the last hour on the phone callinng salvage yards, in search of the every popular 14 bolt FF rear axle and a Dana 60 front axle. 99% of these guys wouldn't know a tork wrench from a screw driver. I told them I am building a 1976 Chevy Blazer and need 1 ton axles. Most of them keep telling me it won't work. They can't get past the fact that it's not a factory original thing I'm after. So what should I tell them I need it for ???? Year, make, model, is all they seam to ask. Your app. is not in the computer sir, so it can't be done. Idiots !!! I really think to work at a salvage yard you should know how to turn a wrench !!!!!! Any sudjections ???? I'm mostly trying to price the axles at this point.

2. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

tell them you need a 76 3/4 ton rear end end an 80-up 1 ton dand 60 .

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

77-91 K30 front. 74-87 K20 rear.

Just wait til you have to order parts over the counter.../forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Rene

4. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

whats so special about a 76 3/4 ton rear vs a 86 3/4 was 76 a FF even in the 3/4 ton? Rather than a SF

5. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

i was just trying to make it simple , they didnt start making the sf till the late 80s i think .just listen to Rene
    he knows more then i do /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

6. tRustyK5

The earlier 14 bolts would work better for Paul due mainly to the E-brake cable thing. The 76 K5 has two cables running forwards from the diff...the newer style E-brake is one short cable and one long one that crosses over the diff. This can be a PITA to deal with...

Rene

7. tRustyK5

Do not...you're my hero Andy!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

8. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Yeah he's my hero too! I still am interested in a fixed rear 208. Its just ingenious -vs- a heavy higher geared 205. I guaruntee if I have to tear into my 208 again either its going bye bye (due to lack of time and just swap in a 205) or ANDY is getting lots of PM's about a conversion. I should have converted a yr ago when I rebuilt the damn thing anyway! Still in Awh of your setup andy.

9. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

umm thanks but why ? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif feels pretty special to be at 19 yr old hero !! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

10. tRustyK5

That 208 deal impressed me, plus I think you're selling yourself short. 19 is only a number...i know plenty of people twice your age that can barely tie their shoes./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Rene

11. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

awwe shucks .... maybe my dad was right .... thanks a lot Rene , seriously /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

12. tRustyK5

Just credit where it's due./forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Rene

13. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Just wait til you have to order parts over the counter...

[/ QUOTE ]

ain't that the truth /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

if you do not know what PN you need, good luck explaining to the guy why you need that montley mix of parts /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

14. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

well thanks , but someone cant remember who told me another way to make it non slip , just drill all the way throught the shaft and yoke and put id say 3/8s g8 bolt through it and tah dah no more slip ,kinda butch but id probly have done it that way , maybe . laterz -Andy

15. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

I just bought my 14ff off of a 70's van and have been cleaning it. I learned one thing. If you go into a salvage yard looking for a non stock part, and they start off by typing it into their computer, turn around and walk out! If they say, Yeah, I've got a few 70's one tons with that axle follow them, they know what they're talking about. I learned when they ask what it's going on to say, "My garage floor" Which is very true with most of the parts collecting I've done. I've started calling the garage my "halfway House" I'm halfway to my 1 ton conversion, I'm halfway to my standard transmission conversion, I'm halfway through with my 350, My bumpers are halfway done..... If I ever get a year off from work I'll have a bad A** truck to play around in.

Anyway, Try asking for vans as well, After some advice from the wonderful people on this site I bought a van rear end from a 77 1 ton and don't have to use spacers now.Not to mention it was half the price! The yard guy threw in some extra axle shafts as well. I don't know yet if I'll have any trouble getting a detroit to fit it.