Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Frustrating axel search..... need some help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BozoWise, May 8, 2002.

1. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I have been searching for a 3/4 ton or 1 ton setup for my 1979 k5 for months and all that shows up are west coast or east coast. Does anyone know of any around NM or TX. I thought for sure I could find some and I have driven many a mile in search of them, but everyone down here claims that the truck buried halfway into the sand and having no glass to seak of is the best truck they have ever owned. I found one 1 ton that had NO tires, no front clip, and no glass but the guy said the motor was just awesome (stock motor too) and he wanted 2500 for it. That is crazy. So if anyone could help me find some axels I would return the favor in my second life ;-)

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Thats odd, I cant find any on the west coast, only easy coast and central states! I'll team up with you and pass ones I find near you or just east of you. I'm looking for a front Dana60 for around a grand. Whats your preference?

3. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Most of them here in Oklahoma are bought up by the time they get to the junkyard, and then sold at an outrageous price. Good luck.

John

4. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Right now I would settle for a 3/4 ton setup. 44 front and 14 ff rear.

5. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't even sweat a 3/4 ton front end, as strength of the axle is the same (almost) as 1/2 ton gear. You would be best served by finding a 14 bolt rear and either converting the front to 8 bolt lug pattern, or the rear to six (that's what I'm doing).

John

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Just in case your local search is fruitless, consider using www.forwardair.com to ship the axles.............I bought my Dana 60 from a guy in Cincinnati (cost $162 to ship to Portland, OR) and my 14BFF from Wes (thatK30guy), shipped from Kansas City to Portland it was about $170. Worth the extra money if you can't get anything local.

7. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Probably not what your looking for but it is 3/4 ton... on ebay there is a Dana 44 and Dana60 combo with 3.73's in Arkansas(sp?). They are being sold individually but just do a search for Dana 44. I think the total right now is just over $120.

8. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I should be able to find a 44 for the same amount it would cost me to change the 10 bolt to 8 lug. I already have a set of tsl mounted and pad balanced on 8 lug wheels so I figure I would just go to a 44 14ff combo and get the wheels and tires mounted up and take it easy on the skinny pedal until I find a 60 front.

9. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Brian,

I have an x-brother-in-law that owns the wrecking yard in Muleshoe. I will try to get in touch with him and see if he has or knows of anything.

Mike

10. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Your the man Mr. Chevy! If I can get you anything car audio or 4 wheel drive related let me know our shop sells all kinds of stuff and I would return the favor if you could find me some axels.

11. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Hey Brian,
    Is St. Louis too far for you. If not, I have a set for sale. Check the parts for sale board for info.

12. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

No where is too far for me when the seller ships for free ;-)

I will go check the board now, but I think shipping is going to push me over my limit

13. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Ill tell you right now--if you cant find anything---come down to El Paso and well go to the junkyards in Juarez---you can find the 14FF for a dime a dozen---i bought mine for $50 and have seen the go for no more than $150---we were gonna buy a dana 70 rear for $75 the other day and came w the pickup bed but passed. my friend "HispanicPanic" works over there and knows all the yards so you wont have to be scared to go down there.

the fronts are a little harder to come by but i know they are out there

Dan

14. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I might have to do that. I too can find the rears everywhere down here but no fronts. And I mean no fronts no 10 bolt, dana 44, dana 60 nothing for the front in the yards. I am no searching out in the farm country I have found 4 D60 so far (more then any other front) BUT they all want too much for me to afford. I can get running trucks for 2500 with the d60 and 14ff but I have no use for anything else on the truck. I have been trying to find people here to go in partners with me on the other parts and I will get the axels.

15. efilnikufecin

efilnikufecin 1/2 ton status

hey,check out www.usa6x6.com. they have dana 60's for $1200 and 14 bolts with detroit locker for $750

16. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I found a 1974 k20 tonite and it has a d44 and 14 ff. I will more then likely pick it up this weekend and do the swap from my 10 and 12 bolt. I am still searching for the 60 but I don't think I am going to pass this truck up. The body is in horible shape but I am getting a nice tool box to mount in the blazer and an extra 14 ff that was in a suburaban the guy has. The truck has a 454 standard trans and a 203 with a warn part-time kit and warn hubs on the 44. I was planning on pulling the partime kit for my 203 if the warn kit is good to use. i know there is some cheap part-time kits out there but is the warn one of them?

I have new brakes and such on my 10 bolt front. Does the dana 44 have different calipers? I think it does but would like confirmation. What all should I remove of my current 10 to reuse if anything. Is the steering the same. If so i would like to remove mine and the steering arm and just attach mine on there. Thanks for all the continued help this board is great and I am proud to be a member. Hopefuly one of these days I can help out in other forums but for now I'll keep to the audio and electronics where I do my best.