Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Frustrating wipers!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kp texan, Aug 2, 2005.

1. kp texan

kp texan 1/2 ton status

Please try to help me diagnose this windshield wiper problem I'm having right now. I'm going crazy trying to figure this out and I've run search after search and replaced part after part :mad: . So far, I've replaced the wiper motor with a rebuilt piece from Auto Zone, the control module under the steering column with a new Delco unit, and replaced the washer pump with a rebuilt unit. When I turn the wiper switch all the way to high, the wipers will move but it pumps washer fluid for some reason. Also, the wash function works okay but the blades will stop in the middle of my windshield if I don't time it correctly to stop them at the bottom. None of the other speed settings work, including intermittent functions and mist setting. From reading previous posts, it seems like the motor is the part that is supposed to stop the wipers in the correct position. Do you think I may have gotten a bad motor from Auto Zone? The only other things I think it could be is the switch in the steering column or some broken wiring in the system. Any input from you guys would be appreciated and thanks so much for the help.

-Wes

2. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you've got a short(s) in the control circuit somewhere. The motor is stopped by a cam that opens the ground when the switch is off, causing it to "park." While the switch is "on" the motor has a continuous ground allowing it to run. As soon as you turn the switch "off" the cam allows it to run until the motor reaches the parked position. The washer pump has a similar setup (I hate the mechanical pumps, I always replace them with electrical pumps).

I had one pump where the upper, driverside screw would cause the motor circuit to short to ground, when the screw was tight. If I loosened the screw or removed it, everything worked as it should. I found the housing for the pump slightly bent and the circuit under the pump was shorted to the housing. I straigtened things out, insulated the internal circuit with some electrical tape and it was good to go.

Carefully inspect all your wires and the cuircuit under to washer pump and go from there.

3. blownout

blownout Registered Member

my ..

my truck has a bad wire some where to i use a rag because i have no cash i blow it all on friday on junk my kids love me cause i buy them cars and bikes some times when i get money from a job that i do ,

4. kp texan

kp texan 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help. I'll pull my washer fluid reservoir again and check the pump wires. Maybe thats why the harness to the washer pump was unplugged when I bought the blazer even though I thought it may have just come loose? Should I just follow all of the wiring and look for damage or should I get an ohm meter out and start checking connections? I guess the only problem is that I wouldnt be able to tell which wires are supposed to be grounded and which wires have a short in them. Anyone else have any advice or experience on troubleshooting this wiper system?

Thanks so much,

Wes

5. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Just a quick tip. Don't test a wire for resistance (ohms) if you don't know if its got power or not. With voltage on the circuit you can ruin the multimeter. The better meters have a fuse to protect them, but most of the cheap ones do not.

6. kp texan

kp texan 1/2 ton status

Yeah I learned that one the hard way last year. I was using a nice Fluke meter on one of the ships I was working on and I accidentally did that. Lets just say the first engineer wasnt too happy about it.

-Wes