Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Frustration

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Brians89K5, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Brians89K5

Brians89K5 1/2 ton status

ok, so I thought I would do my DIY shackle flip today. 5 hours later I got the factory asembly removed from the truck.... Im trying to do this without removing my gas tank so I can't use my blow torch. Anyone here try to get er done without removing the gas tank on their blazer? In order for me to remove my tank I have to cut my hitch off because its welded to my frame. So I can't get to the bumper bolts. The bumper is shrouding the metal skid plate that is over the tank. I'd rather not do that but this is getting out of control in frustration level... Anywhoo I feel a little better now that I got it off my chest...

~Brian

2. 71 Blazer

71 Blazer 1/2 ton status

I had to use a grinder to get the heads off, then take my small torch to what was left just to get it out. This was after I removed to gas tank. It took me almost two months( I don't have a garage and I did it in the middle of winter).

3. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

I used a grinder, then a combination of cold chisel and punch..the first one took a long time. The second one, I stopped acting like a sissy and just got in there and knocked it out...

4. ChickenRammit

ChickenRammit 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

grinder is just as likely to ignite fuel as the torch would be. you should probably just go ahead and use the torch, just dont aim it at the tank or fuel lines and keep a fire extinguisher handy. also to arrest any sparks, you can soak a bunch of towels in water and cover up all possible ignition sources.

5. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

I am pretty sure that Gasoline will not ignite with a spark, only an open flame...which is why you can throw a lit cigarette in a bucket of gasoline without catching on fire....

6. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

It's not the gas that burns, it's the FUMES.

7. Brians89K5

its not only that but the flumes in an inclosed space make for a BOOOMSKI. I have read stories about fella's who have killed themselves doing stuff like that. Im trying to figure out how to get the backing plates to bolt up with the tank there.

~Brian

8. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

That's because the gas fumes crowd out the oxygen, and without the proper mixture of both, there can be no ignition.

It is possible for a spark to ignite gasoline, it has one of the lowest ignition temps.

Using a torch near a gas tank is not always a "don't do it" situation. But without being there, and seeing all the factors or knowing the skill level of the one using the torch, or the condition of the tank, I couldn't say for sure if you should do it. As a saftey response, I would have to say don't.. human error is more often a factor in accidents like that, than the materials involved. Exhuast shop guys use torches near tanks all day long. I'd have to say the chances of the gas tank exploding are pretty much zero... even if you aimed the torch at it on purpose. However, if the tank is breeched by the torch, your going to have one hell of a big mess on your hands in a big damn hurry... if you live to see it that is. ;)

You would probably save youself more grief if you just grinded the welds off the receiver, and took it off and dropped the tank.. but again, without being there I can only assume that it would be the better solution.

Good luck, and be careful.

9. ChickenRammit

ChickenRammit 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

wouldn't grinding create just as good a source of ignition as a cutting torch?

10. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

It depends on where it's welded to the frame. The bolts he's trying to get to for the flip are much closer to the tank, than I would imagine the receiver is.

Grinding in the "area" of the tank shouldn't pose a heat problem for the tank. as long as there are no gas leaks etc, and the condition of the tank is good, I don't think it would be a problem. The skid plate may actually be between the area he needs to grind for the receiver, vs. the sides of the tank that are exposed to the shackles. Also working on the side of the wheel that will send sparks away from the tank would be helpful, if possible. But, like I said, unless I knew who was doing the work, and their level of experience, and the conditions etc etc etc, it's just really to hard to say. If the tank is in good condition, then there is probably no reason why you can't gind and cut torch near it all day long.

My advise would be, "use your best judgement". If you think it's too risky given the conditions, then it probably is.

11. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

I ground them down flush with a flapper disk. Then used a prybar between teh frame and popped them off. The sledged the rivets through the frame. But your gonna go through a big pain trying to get the rear brackets/nuts on the inside of the framerail to bolt it down. I had a really hard time with my gas tank dropped 5".

12. Brians89K5

thanks for the relplys fellas. As for the skill level of the operator of the torch. I just setup my tanks about 3 months ago. Im pretty good at cutting however it makes me nevous cutting near the exposed side of my gas tank. My gas tank is empty as well so that makes it even more dangerous than if it was full. I drove it till it was almost empty incase I had to remove the tank. I think I am just going to remove the receiver and weld it back on once Im done. Bah, what a pain. Oh well most progress doesn't come easy right?

~Brian

13. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I actually drilled out the rivets with a 1/2" drill bit. It went faster than the grinder for me. i only lowered my tank a few inches. I did have to remove the bumper so i could get a wrench on the bolts to install the bracket though. I'd stay away from the torch on this one though.