Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fubared Wiring

Discussion in 'Southeast Region' started by 79Stomper, Oct 5, 2006.

1. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

So in my quest to be meticulous with wiring in a vehicle, I found one that has me stumped to this point. I think the only reason I am stumped is as most was all ready disconnected.

From looking at the burnt, melted, twisted together, and taped together wiring in the engine compartment, it is a total mess and I do not see how the engine ran when it did run. When I pulled the wiring off of the starter, I found only one that actually ran anywhere. The other 3 were cut about 2 inches from where it bolted to the alternator. The temp sensor wiring was well nothing but bare 18ga wire that had been twisted together and not covered in any way. The I begin to search for how the starter and distributor got its power, well now this is where I am a little stumped. I have pulled the wiring diagrams for an 83 off the net and well they are of no help to me.

So, if anyone has a simple diagram of running basically the engine, please post it up for me. I am about to dig into the Haynes and Chiltons to see what I can find.

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I only have one wire going to my starter on all my trucks, other than the 1 gauge starter cable. the two that are cut on yours are more than likely the fusible wire that then goes to the firewall block. I remove those as soon as I get a truck and put 70amp or larger circuit breakers in place of the fusible link that normally goes there. Then I hook up a remote solenoid and just have the one starter wire go to the starter solenoid from the remote one and the 1 gauge starter cable is only hot when you're actually using the starter. I'll draw ya up a diagram that is easy to follow if some one else doesn't.

Here's part of it.............[​IMG]

3. 79Stomper

Now I like that. What type of solenoid is that just a standard Ford one or ????

4. dontoe

Yes Sir, but Iask for a Jeep one, just so it ain't a Furd part jinxing me trucks.

I''l get a pic of the fusible link replacement wiring this evening if a flash works well, otherwise it might be Saturday...........I gotta work on my day off tomorrow till 2:00 then drive to Greensborough to get my 208 with clocking ring and fixed yoke.......................WOO HOO..................:D

5. dontoe

Actually there is only the 1 gauge cable going to the starter, I forgot I run a jumper across the solenoid terminals.
    That yellow wire is the starter engage wire. Just lengthened to reach the rad support.

I have a crimping tool you can borrow to do your own 1 gauge or whatever cables if ya want me to bring it to da Thump!

6. 79Stomper

Now what about the wire(s) from the alternator. You have that one going straight to the battery? Or do you have that one going to the junction block on the firewall. It is starting to make a little more sense to me as I look at more pictures and diagrams. Its been a year or 2 since I have re-wired the engine compartment.

My main goal is to streamline all the wiring and clear out the cluster/rats nest that is going on in there now.

7. dontoe

Had to go look when I got home,
    I ran the wires that originally to the starter(from alternator) to the battery, then ran a 10 ga wire through a CB to the junction block.

[​IMG]
    The '73 is easier to see. The wires that went to the starter from the alternator, now go to the battery ..........I have a isolator so it's harder to see. Then a 10 gauge wire goes to the junction block and is CB protected.

[​IMG]
    Continuation of the wire.

[​IMG]
    Isolator, the center terminal wire is from the alternator, would go to the battery instead of the isolator if one battery was used.

[​IMG]
    Jumper wire from the 1 gauge terminal to where the normal 14 gauge starter wire from the ing switch would go. It is hidden by the ground post in this photo.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  8. dontoe

OK, the alternator wire goes straight from the alternator to the battery, or in this case, the isolator then the battery.
    Then the 10 gauge wire goes from the battery, in this case, the hot side of the Jeep solenoid through a CB then to the junction block, then as normal to the stock, under dash fuse block.
    I ran double 10 gauge wires from the battery to the junction block, because I ran other things off the fuse block.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
  9. extremetahoe

extremetahoe 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hey man, I've got a hayne's if you don't. Pretty sure it has all the wiring in it. Oh, do you still want the shackles? Let me know if you need the book. Actually have to of them.

10. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

You can also get a 1983 K20 diesel glow plug soleniod so you have gm parts:D

11. dontoe

OK, I think I got it correct now.

Really simple as the original wires that went to the starter now go to the battery, and a fused/CB protected wire goes to the junction block to power the fuse block under the dash.

The remote solenoid is totally separate, but makes it simpler/easier to hook up the wires.

12. 79Stomper

Yeah I am still going to need the shaackles, I have just been busy here lately with work and tearing down this small block and work and such. I have a Haynes and a Chiltons here on the desk and right now I am just trying to figure out this wiring on the 83 in the carport. Thanks for the offer.

13. 79Stomper

Thanks for the help, thus far. I think I have it figured out how I want to wire the starter/alternator setup now.

Now there are 2 10g (ish) wires going into the fuse panel. What do they do and where do they go. I think one goes to the junction block located on the firewall and the other one?????

Got the rest of them figured out just need these 2 left. I went out and looked on my diesel harness to see if I had taged what they were used for, but one was cut, so I screwed that up and will be doing this again in a few months with the diesel harness........It never ends does it?

I have been sitting here looking at the wiring diagrams and the Haynes book and they have no mention of the junction block on the firewall in ANY of their diagrams. It sure would help alot if they had it in there.

ALSO, anyone know what the little 2 prong sensor above the oil filter is? I am guessing that it is the pressure switch, nut it had one on the back side of the block? Just curious.