Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fuel additive intended for use on engines designed to run on regular gas

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by weisel, Apr 11, 2002.

1. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

I am putting in a 1970 350 into my truck. The engine has never been apart and was designed to run on regular (leaded) gasoline. I have been told that I might burn a valve/valve seat or that the valve guides might stick if I run on unleaded gas. They say that the valve seats are not hardened and that the guides need the lead to lubricate them. They also told me about an engine like mine ran on unleaded for 30 minuets and burnt valvles and bent push rods because the valves binded. Is what they are saying true? Is there a fuel additive that I can get that will enable me to run on unleaded?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have heard that if you run unleaded gas in a motor meant for leaded gas that it will mess up the valves and or seats. There are lead additives you can put into unleaded gas so you can run it. I have seen it at just about any auto parts store.

There might be better brands then others, but I don't know for sure.

3. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

i don't think you can burn up vales that fast. i had a 72 blazer, 105k total org miles, and ran it for a year with no problems, 115K when i sold it, the previous owner had it since then and ran unleaded gas ever since it was banned. i've seen some unleaded gas additives at local parts stores, they don't contain lead but do the same thing. if it's never been opened and not rebuilt don't worrry about it. you have a greater chance of it buring oil, that'll keep the vavles lubed/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

ARQ.