Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Cell Foam

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 73k10sub, Jun 21, 2004.

1. 73k10sub

73k10sub 1/2 ton status

I just got my fuel cell from Summit. I could not get the one I ordered without foam. I've been told this stuff only lasts a couple of years.
    Anybody out there got any experience with this? Should I remove it before I ever put any fuel in it?
    The cell is a 20 gal. drag racing cell with a 2" sump in it.

Ronnie /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

uhhhh if it only lasts a few years I better go rip the foam out of the cell in our circle car that should have deteriorated years ago... sorry kind of a beating around way of saying whatever you heard was stupid. Foam is nothing but good, never heard of any issues with it, and yes we have many cells sitting around for many many years with foam in them their whole lives.

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Actually, I've heard of problems from a number of sources that I tend to believe, well, most of the time...

Apparently, foam is ok if you run race fuel, but fuel with additives common to most normal street grade gas will cause fuel cell foam to break down and clog your filters. One of the local guys was complaining about this not too long ago. Summit cell with foam less than 1 year old and his filter and lines were full.

4. 73k10sub

73k10sub 1/2 ton status

That is what I am hearing from a guy in my local 4X4 club. Just trying to find out what the guys on this site have experienced.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

hmm our old cells have never been filled with anything but pump gas. But they aren't summit $100 ones either maybe thats where the difference is? I have an RCI with foam and will run pump fuel, maybe I will find out

6. 73k10sub

73k10sub 1/2 ton status

Mine is a Summit aluminum. Some of the paperwork with it makes reference to RCI. So I'm guessing it is one of those deals where Summit puts their part number on another's item.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah I believe all summit tanks are RCI.

8. 73k10sub

73k10sub 1/2 ton status

I just talked to Johnnie at RCI. He said: "it is aircraft foam (?) and is compatible with all fuels. The only problem I've heard of occurs when the cell is allowed to dry (like not driving the vehicle over the winter). When gas is put in it again, tiny black flecks come off and clog filters, etc." So, he says keep some fuel in it at all times.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

but the tiny flecks could be attributed to dried fuel. I think we all know gasoline can do some nasty stuff when let to sit.

10. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Marv will prolly chime in for this one. He has all kinds of problems with the foam in his buggy, he actually has to clean his filter right after the cell about every 2 days cause it keeps getting clogged.

11. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

We have kept the foam in our cells. The only thing that you have to do to keep the foam from falling apart is keep the tank full while in long storage periods. The foam does not do well with drying out then being wet agian.
    My advice is to keep the foam and install a good fuel filter right at the tank. Replace that filter every few years and things should be okay from what I have heard and know.

12. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

I have had the same problem with the foam clogging filters but it wasnt from it sitting dry it was from when I put the foam in. little particles would get broken off as I was stuffing the foam in my tank so no foam to blame but myself /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

after running the foam in my 32 gallon jazz cell I noticed that I wasnt getting the distance out of my tank that I did with no foam so I took it out and threw it away.
    I will just deal with the little bit of sloshing that it has /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Fuel Cell Foam is the devil. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I called RCI and they gave me that same line about letting it sit empty.... which I've never done.

But at it's worst, I would only run about a half our before clogging up the 1st filter. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Marv

14. 73k10sub

73k10sub 1/2 ton status

Thanks to all for the input! That is what this site is all about.
    [ QUOTE ]
    Fuel Cell Foam is the devil.

I called RCI and they gave me that same line about letting it sit empty.... which I've never done.

But at it's worst, I would only run about a half our before clogging up the 1st filter.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Marv - did this occur right away with a new cell/new foam? After 1 year, 2 years?

Thanks, Ronnie /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

15. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Marv - did this occur right away with a new cell/new foam? After 1 year, 2 years?

Thanks, Ronnie

[/ QUOTE ]

Ronnie,

I bought the cell, and it sat around the garage - empty - for at least a year before I put anything in it. Then upon filling it w/ gas, the "flakes" that started clogging up my filter were immediate and have continued w/ no sign of letting off..... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Marv