Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FUEL CELL plumbing questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by juanblzer, Mar 10, 2003.

1. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

I will be ordering a 32 gal. Jazz steel fuel cell. How does one plumb a fuel cell? I have an 85 so no pump in the tank. Any and all help is appreciated.
    juan
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

umm, if it was me, i would ditch the mechanical pump for an expensive electric one. kind of sucks that way in some aspects, but does work better. summit sells a kit for 270.00 dollars. it includes the pump, filter, line, fittings, and regulator. kind of spendy, but not a bad way to go. part number SUM-PUMPKIT7A
    so it would go like this:
    fuel cell---filter-pump-------regulator---secondairy clear filter-carb.
    grant

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

oh yeah, how much you paying for the cell?
    and where from? foam filled? part number? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    grant

4. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

that's almost as much as the cell itself
    312.95 prosport with foam
    32 gallon
    www.jazproducts.com
    two ports, which goes where. can I run my mechanical pump until I pony up for the mechanical pump?

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

It's really pretty simple. Keep your stock mechanical pump. It's one of the best engineered things on your truck already and really tough to kill. You should have 4 bungs on your cell. 2 on top and 2 on bottom. Here's what I did on my '79. I ran one of the bottoms to my metal feed fuel line with 3/8 or 1/2" rubber hose (can't remember what size). I capped off the other bottom bung in the sump. On top, there should be 2 more bungs. One has a tipover vent valve that shuts off if the cell is upside down. You want to run a length of rubber hose off of this bung and coil it up with a filter on one end. That way it can still breathe, but no fuel smell can come out of the end. The other straight through bung should be routed via rubber hose to the return hard line in your truck.

As for fittings, you can use the expensive ass aluminum anodized ones in summit magazine. Or you can do what I did and use JIC hydraulic fittings. Same thread pitch and mounting angle. Only these are dipped steel and about 1/4 the price. I took my whole cell into one of those awesome autoparts stores where the guys actually know something and also work with tractor hydraulics. They fixed me right up with fittings and hose. Hope this helps. I took my cell out last week since i parted out my rig. I have it sitting in the garage with the fittings still on it. Will take a pic tonight before I ship it off to its new owner.

HTH, Bryan

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Edit that...guess you dont' have a bung for a return line...in that case, you'll need to cap your return line off at the carb and just run a supply and a vent. The vent one will have a check ball in it that you can see... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif