Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Cell Plumbing?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by laketex, Feb 6, 2002.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

so I've got this nice pretty aluminum RCI fuel cell sitting in the back of my truck. It' great, but it's not plumbed in. I have 2 #8 AN male fittings up top. One's a built in rollover vent, and one will be used for the return. Then there's 2 #10 AN fittings at the sump. One of these will get capped and the other is the pickup.

I need to know what kind of fittings to buy that are an female on one end, and will clamp to a hose on the other end? I'm using the stock fuel lines which is a hard line to the wheelwell, and a rubber hose after that. How do I go from the hose to the cell? And where do I plumb in the pump?

Here's the page of the cell. It's the 2200AS.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.rciracing.com/page4.htm>http://www.rciracing.com/page4.htm</a>

The pump is an electric inline from Napa. If anyone has any experience with this, help is needed ASAP. THANKS!

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

bueller? bueller?

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

3. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Um, he's sick... my best friend's boyfriend's cousin saw him at 31 flavors.... sorry [​IMG]

I had to do the same thing when I put my tranny cooler in, it had threads and I needed to use hose clamps. Just go to a hardware store or Home Dump and look through the great wall o fittings they have there. You should be able to find one that threads into the tank and has a barb on it for a hose.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts www.mudnuts.org

4. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

OK, OK, I'll bring my catalog over and highlight what you need...or better yet you come by and look....bring beer![​IMG]

Michael[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jmartin.net/goose>www.jmartin.net/goose</a>

5. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Unfortunatly that wont work. Home Depot does not sell -AN fittings. If they did I would be eternally happy.

They do sell NPT and the like, just not -AN.

In reply to the original ?, You could get the new push style hose ends. I think I've seen them in summit. Or you could go to Earls, or Aeromotive's web site. EArls has a good site. I think its part of holley now.

My, 02
    John

<font color=blue>"When all else fails, read the instructions, or get a bigger hammer"</font color=blue>

6. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

they make fitting's in summit that lock to the hose when you push it onto them,,they work VERY good and the only way to get the hose back off is to cut is from the fitting.
    as for the fuel pump,i believe you will have to mount it LOWER than the fuel cell as they only push,not pull.so probably cutting your hard line and mounting it on the frame rail would be the best bet,and it HAS to be mounted upright for it to work properly.
    if you can't wait for somehting from a catalog, go to a tractor supply shop or im sure the local hardware store has something you can use.

<font color=purple>ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]</font color=green>

7. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

LT, can't help you with the fitting...shoot all I know is hose clamps.......but keep the pump as close to the fuel cell as you can, as the previous poster indicated they (fuel pump) can push gas for miles but can't pull it farther than a sick whore can get outta bed.

WK

8. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

rotflmao
    you could also just cut the fitting's off the hard line and use holse clamps like tha lady say's
    and WK,,if you don't put that truck back up on there im not gonna talk to you no more [​IMG][​IMG]
    how dare you come in here pushing yur chess pieces on us,,it's against my religion to play chess,and what's with the white piece being in front of the black background,,what are you trying to say ?[​IMG]
    sorry,,i hadda do it !!

<font color=purple>ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]</font color=green>

9. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah, [censored]... I forgot about that. I knew that too cause I needed some when I was doing a custom turbo system last year. I think I got them at Weiders hardware store but I'm not sure. That whole project was one big cluster f*@k so I'm trying to forget it.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts www.mudnuts.org

10. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

k5king...take a deep breath and relax so you can absorb this information....White Knight is a Dude and the white knight is a chick...White Knight has been around here forever and white knight around a year.....okay exhale and check to see if it was absorbed. Jezz I can't see whats so cornfuzing.

White Knight..dude from Texas

11. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Yea dude You'll have to order fittings unless NAPA just happens to have some down there( the one downtown by the library, machine shop, don't remember the name of the place), I know they tend to have more racing stuff than any of the walmart style automotive places. Sounds like Michael has got you hooked up but if not just call summit and tell them what you want. Good luck

Like em big and topless
    You call THAT...a 4x4....LMAO?

12. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

I thought we had this conversation already. :)

I have the same tank in my k5 and i used fittings from JAZ products. 800.525.8133. They can send you a catalog or you can just ask them to send you what you need. They have lots of cool stuff like the fast fuel fill thing I've got mounted to my cage. You can get any fitting to configure just about any set up you want from them.

I'm using the AN-10 fitting cap and AN-10 to 1/2" hose on the sump. Up top I'm using the fast fill valve, AN-8 to 1/2" hose for the vent(still need check valve), and a 90 degree AN-8 to 1/2" hose for the return line(holley pro-jected). I went to NAPA for the 1/2" to 3/8" hose reducers.
    Good Luck and the K5 is looking great!

MTPockets

MAD MAX: http://community.webshots.com/user/mtpockets35

13. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I have the same fuel cell in my truck, I had to take it to a hydraulics parts house and match the fittings up. When I tried to install a #10 AN fitting in mine it felt loose and only got tight when the hex portion bottomed out. I ended up matching up a fitting that had an extra moveable nut (with an o-ring) on the threads. The fitting screws into the cell and the you tighten the loose nut against the cell sandwiching the o-ring for a seal. I'm sorry I don't have a part # or know the name of the style of fitting. It was real wierd but all I could find and it's been on the truck for about 2 years with no problems.

You're probably going to have to stack a couple of fittings together to go from #10 down to 3/8. Take a look at the "Push On" or "Push Lock" clampless fittings mentioned previously, they are really nice and clean looking.

Here's a trick, I got about half of my fittings from that hydraulics place. They don't carry "AN" fittings but they do carry "JIC" fittings, there is a difference in the angle of the flare but they will interchange (although the parts house will tell you no). The JIC stuff is usually cheaper than the AN by about 1/3 and no shipping fees. I'm not knocking AN stuff - I've got ALOT - but this stuff works just as well without some of the cost.

FYI - Check your tank real good before installing it, mine developed a crack in one of the original weld seams after about 6 months. I had to pull it and have it rewelded.

How are you going to do the filler neck? I've still got the original flip top style and I hate it. It works good, I just hate having to climb into the bed of my truck to put gas in it.

80 K10 w/ 468 and 1 ton stuff
    You don't scare me, I got chunks of guy's like you in my stool!
    www.nvrenuf.fws1.com

14. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

haha!! lol!

Nice sig! (dude[​IMG])

-matt
    <font color=purple> "Stuff's only good for 2 things, degreasing engines and killing brain cells"</font color=purple>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5>www.geocities.com/shaggyk5</a>

15. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Dang talk about a lot of answers while i was gone.

I guess between all of ya, I'm hooked up. Thanks guys for all the input. For filling, I'm just leaving it for now, but may add a quick fill like robby did later on. I might go check out the jic fittings since stuff on a budget looks good right now. Yours don't leak at all?

Yeah Robbie, we already had this convo, it's just been so long I can't remember whether I was coming or going, much less how to install a cell. Thanks for the reminders.

And the rest, thanks. Micheal, I'll call your cell tommorrow. I need this stuff yesterday, and maybe I waited a bit long but I've gotta get something worked out. You gonna be in town this weekend?

Sherman, Tx

16. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I've never had any of the JIC stuff leak, my cell has been in about 2 years and I've been using it under the hood for about 7 or 8 years.

I may changed my filler to a "remote" neck that I can get to by opening the tailgate. Are there any pictures of Robby's set up anywhere?

80 K10 w/ 468 and 1 ton stuff
    You don't scare me, I got chunks of guy's like you in my stool!
    www.nvrenuf.fws1.com

17. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I should be around...check with the place that Les mentioned down east of the Library...he has lots of stuff and they make custom hoses. I do have a catalog that shows lots of different fittings if ya need something to look at. Let me know if you're wrenchin' this weekend....I need a warm, dry place to mount up my coil-over stabilizer!

Michael[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jmartin.net/goose>www.jmartin.net/goose</a>

18. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I'm going over there tommorrow to get all the required fittings and hoses. I might just use jic stuff.

I'm going to try to be out wrenching saturday if Michelle will let me!!!

Sherman, Tx