Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Cell ramblings......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by the beast, Sep 27, 2004.

1. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

I've got a 77 K10 Stepside that has a saddle tank that keeps developing a leak. To fix this once and for all I've considered changing to a fuel cell. But here are my issues:

- I want to be able to mount it in the bed against the headboard, and not take up too much room. Like 12"W x 48"L x 20"H or something like that. Oly come off the headboard 12" and still leave me 5 feet of cargo room in the bed.

- It gets it out from under the truck so I don't need to worry about a skid plate or bashing it on a rock.

- I'd like to get more than the current 16 gallons I have.

- It's a daily driver truck.

- It needs to be "cost efficent" I can get a stock replacement for about $120. Read: "I don't need a $400 race cell"

I've seen marine cell that would fit nicely, but it's 50 gallons! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif That's a little TOO much. I suppose I could just not fill it all the way. Are marine cells "legal" to run over the road?

Anyone else run into this problem or find a similar size/ style cell?

2. rhuarc31

rhuarc31 Registered Member

I went to the local boat shop and he had a pile of used marine cells laying around. I looked around and came up with a 25 gallon unit that fits right up against the rear of the bed and doesn't take up a lot of room. Cost was $25. and was almost exactly the measurements you quoted. As for DOT legal, I'm pretty sure that they are, but not 100%.

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Thats a hell of a good idea. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Don't know if you have them there but a Tractor Supply store or any "farm and ranch" store should have what you need. A tank that sits in the bed of the pickup like you said made of steel. They are meant to carry extra fuel for aggricultural uses and most have a big screw cap similar to a semi fuel tank so they can fit a diesel pump nozzle. You can even get them with a fuel pump nozzle (fuel prices go up on the trail /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif)

5. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

That's a transport tank. I've seen them. Mucho bucks. Also carry like 100 gallons!! A lot bigger thna what I need. But does a tranfer tank come set up with a pick-up and ready for the fittings.

And no "Tractor supply's" around here. I should open one. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

There is a tractor place in west bridgewater mass, South Shore Tractor--I know you said your not interested in a transfer tank,but I though you might like to know there is a place to buy that kind of stuff not that far away--I buy lots of stuff there like hydraulic hoses during plow season,they have a good selection of grade 5 and 8 bolts,small engine stuff,tractor tires and tubes,pillow block bearings,sprockets,pulleys,etc. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you weant a tank, not a cell. Cells have rubber bladders and anti-slosh foam in them.

Friend of mine found the tank you're looking for to use in his 454SS as a transfer tank. Came from one of the mail order boat places with a name like "Outers" or close. A google turned up this

*edit*
    I found it, Overton's. Try these.

8. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

Diesel - thanks for the info. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif always good to know of more places to get weird parts. On an unrelated note, check out my other thread about a new club starting right in your backyard, if you haven't already. Hope you'll be interested. Freedom TrailRiders

NM. I just checked back and saw you were already there! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

My error as to interchanging "tank" & "cell." Are baffles required in standard over the road tanks?

9. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Check your state laws. Some states it is illegel to run a fuel cell on the street.