Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel cell ? w/pic

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by crwln73, Feb 9, 2003.

1. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

How should I strap this thing down? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifIm worried about the flexin rippin it at a seam. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif [​IMG]

2. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

3. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

Re: Fuel cell ?

Yeah it was on the axle when I got it. Just havent had a chance to change it.

4. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

I'm assuming it has some kind of tabs to bolt with, use some rubber body mounts of some type to allow some flex. If you don't have any on there and you haven't put gas in it yet get a shop to weld some mounts on there for you. as long as the mount has some type of give to it like the body mounts to your truck do it shoud be fine, if your still worried mount one end and moderately secure the other so it will float but not bounce around.

5. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

no I dont have any tabs.I afraid to mount it like that,because I have major flex.I can feel the floorboard flex under my feet when Im really twisted up.My frame is already bent.One side is about two or three inches higher than the other.I was thinking maybe some kind of straps.

6. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Next time you see a gas tanker some place look at how they mount the tank to the truck chassis. They have some long asz bolts with coil springs between the mount and the washer/ nut. This will let the tank flex on the mounts and keep it from ripping apart. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

Cool /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifSounds like that should work.I was thinking of something like that.Just not sure what to put the cell on.I mean under it.Im thinking maybe some type of bump stop looking thing.

8. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

the chrome diff. cover looks good with that cage around it Id keep it that way, Thats one really mean looking truck very cool did you build that tube bar rear? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif http://bigboytoys.8k.com and www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

9. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

Yeah it was my first bendin project.Still not finished,but gettin close.

10. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Been thinking on it some more. Get some old valve springs with the retainers. Put one under each tab , the retainer keeps the bolt centered in the spring do the same on the other side. Use long bolts and nylock nuts. Then the cell will be able to flex both ways if you get in a bind situation. Use retainers at each end off all the springs so the bolts stay centered and don't tighten the bolts to much. If you could drill the ends of the bolts for a cotter pin that would be even better.