Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Cell????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by seattle73k5, Jun 16, 2005.

1. seattle73k5

seattle73k5 1/2 ton status

I have a hole in my tank and want to replace it should I go with a fuel cell or replace with an OEM replacement tank???

Also if I go with a Fuel Cell I was thinking of mounting it in the blazer behind the rear seat...should I do this or fab something up for where the stock tank is?

Any pictures of your set ups would be a great help and any info you all would have on the right direction to go....I am starting to build the truck up for some trail and rock krawling while still maintaining an everyday driver...if it's possible hahaha. seems once you start fabricating stuff it just never stops.

again thanks in advance for any help you all have :cool1:

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I bought this from a local member , he had it made for his first gen , but fits perfect in a 73-91 . Don't remember who made it , but I can dig up the post perhaps if it wasn't deleted , he posted it . I do need to clean it and paint it , went from his truck to my garage .

It can go below the frame , and is beefy thick so no skidplate is required , and no straps are required , just bolts , has a sender too . I am running it over the frame in my project , and backwards . To run it over , a crossmember gets cut off , and remounted farther forward .

Just an idea , not store bought , but well built and can be duplicated if ya got skills :D

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

If it were me I would replace the factory tank because of the daily driving you mentioned.. Another reason is I dont like no more fuel in a closed in cab then has to be.. If it was just a trail rig then maybe go with the fuel cell..

Replacing the factory tank would let you keep the space in the back open for more stuff... I don't know about you but I always need room for more stuff :D .

4. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I am in the same boat as you. My tank has leaked for the past 3years and I have patched it numerous times. It started to leak bad again when I was in Iraq so I decided when I got home I would just put a fuel cell in there. I could get away with a OEM tank, but the way my truck is heading I will want a fuel cell in the future. Better to buy a cell now than buy a tank then get a cell in the future.

If you do decide on an OEM tank I would recommend a Poly tank instead of steel. No rust and might take a hit better than a steel one.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

We accidentally dropped my DD and the jackstand went into the side of my OEM tank and it ain't leaked yet ;)