Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Cell ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SchnorrCS, Feb 22, 2006.

1. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

Hey Guys...
    Just had a thought...I want a fuel cell, but like evrything else on my truck, I want to make it. I'm a good welder and have access to MIG/TIg and a plasma cutter as well as a whole host of other good metal work/fabrication tool.
    Anyway, was thinking of useing 12 gauge to 1/8 inch steel (mild). Anybody see any problems with this? I thought of the rust factor, but I think it will be ok. Shouldn't rust bad if I use an additive every other tank or so. I think. Any opinions? I would definatly leak test it and put a roll over vent in it, but any suggestions welcome, ok?
    Thanks guys,
    cS
    Oh yea...Any ideas on a fuel gauge sending unit? How bout safty measures?

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

3. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

I have a 70' chevy 3/4 ton custom camper 2wd pickup. the saddle tanks under each side of the bed were junk. I made two new ones out of 1/8 304 stainless sheet. a 4 X 10 sheet cost me 225.00 about 5 yrs ago. then I bought Auto Meters universal sending units. I used the original tanks as a pattern to make the new tank from. the tank is one piece bent into shape and welded and the lid is a seperate piece. have to check fit the sending units fit before I weld the lid on permanante. there is baffeling welded inside the tank too.

I measured the stock tanks sides and lengths, then I layed out the pattern on the sheet of SS. I marked the lines to be bent with dotted line and wrote the bend direction on the line so as not to forged which way it needed to be bent. then I used a plasma cutter and cut 1 in cuts on the dotted line leaving an inch and cutting an inch. I made sure at corners I left an inch to be bent instead of welded.

then by hand I bend the pannels into shape. I hammer and dollied the corners and seams to tighten the bends and gaps up tight and welded all the joints together. they came out bitchen. I dont have pics but I can take some if you want to see them. they are a crazy shape.

4. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

Ok here's my plan.....
    either 12 ga or 1/8 steel, rectangle shaped, but the floor will be at a dual angle, meaning it will go down hill by ways from the center. 1 of the pickupswill be the right side front corner, the other left side rear corner. Underneath the fuel lines will tie in together with a y. There will also be baffles on both ends to keep the pick up areas submerged at all times.
    Still haven't quite figured out how I'm gonna get a sending unit or filler neck in there yet, still working on that. What do ya think?

cS

5. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

so the floor is going to be high in the center then go down hill to the side walls like a upside down "V" except at a much shallower angle correct? then your going to "Y" the fuel pickup so it sucks from two points of pick up? thats how I understand it. what if one scaveging, sucking air while the other is getting gas, think that will pose a problem with how the motor runs? sounds possible just not sure how thar will effect fuel delivery to the motor.

6. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

I don't think it will. My truck is still carbed, with the mechanical fuel pump, so I really don't think it's gonna hurt anythin. I guess I figure that as long as one sump is completly covered with gas, I should be alright. Crossing fingers anyway...
    I'm gonna take pictures and all that crap and maybe that will be enough coaxing to become a paying member so I can post all the pics up and everything.
    The only "real" drawback is that if I do this fuel cell, it will make it completly impossible to ever narrow the ass end of my truck, cause I plan on mounting it behind the rear seat, with a fancy home made metal "tonneau cove" thing I made so I would have lockable storage for all my tools and spare parts I carry in the truck. Now I'm gonna have to come up with a way to store that stuff too. Does it ever really stop? Or even wind down for that matter?

cS