Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fuel cell?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gmc4cw, Dec 30, 2006.

1. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

what type/size of cell are you running? where did you mount it?

Couple of reasons I am thinking about running one. I wanted to taper the bed. I would ditch it all together but I want it to still look like a truck. and It needs to look like a truck because of where I store it. first the side tank is in the way for a nice taper job. and reason 2 is I would pick up clearance underneath on the driver side.

I burn about 1 gallon per hour wheeling. seems high doesn't it? really that means in a day of wheeling I go through 7-8 gallons. do other people use as much? some of the guys I go with are using similar amounts. So I am thinking a 15 gallon cell would be big enough.

right now I have a mechanical fuel pump. should I switch to an electric with a regulator if I put in a cell? Or just run some new plumbing?

This truck is strictly offroad use and trailered everywhere. legality is not an issue but safety is. I have seen the vents that will prevent spills if I roll it. What else do I need?

2. Ronnie4wd

Ronnie4wd 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

3. gmc4cw

how many gallons is that? just the feed line?

4. Ronnie4wd

I don´t know how many gallons but it´s 50 Litres the red can is 20 Litres.
    I have 90 Litres with me and it´s my DD but it´s diesel so it´s not a problem.

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Cheap cells have cheep foam. That foam looks to be good for 3-5 years in pump fuel and then you'll start seeing little bits of black clog the filter(s). I would suggest a filter right at the cell regardless of fuel pump type.

Running w/o the foam means no slosh control. May or may not be possible with your type of driving. Walbro makes a cool fuel pick-up that closes a plunger when it sucks air. Holley sells them as their own trick parts, but if you look around the Holley price can be beat. Use 2 to 4 of them in a tank.

The Anti-Syphon valves don't always work. Search here and rdc on the topic. I know that a good vent hose routing method has been discussed within the last year or so.

6. gmc4cw

I will definitely run something with foam inside. some of the things I have thought about are what direction to face the tank depending on what type of fuel outlet it has. if it feeds of the bottom and I face it backwards and have half a tank or less and go down a steep hill I could starve the pump.

same problem if I face it forward and am going uphill.

so face it sideways cause any angle hard enough to starve it is going to roll me over.:dunno:

Ronnie, how long does the fuel in just the cell last you when wheeling?

anybody running a fuel level gauge with one? they have some nice stuff on summit/jegs with a sending unit encluded. this is one of the ones I was looking at. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=RCI%2D2161A&N=700+%2D128260+115&autoview=sku

after talking to FOR MUD 15 gallons might not be enough if I spend all day playing in the mud.

7. TeK

TeK 1/2 ton status

I run a 32 gallon fuel cell in my truck. Mounted on a flat bed.

8. Ronnie4wd

I have no troubles with the foam in my cell (yet) had it for a year now and it was used in a street car (gasoline) before that.
    50 litres will last about 2 full days of wheeling for me but my truck is diesel and does not go around full throttle in the mud all day:wink1: .
    About the gauge i use the one who was in the truck with my fuel cell and it works perfect:D